News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Stereo pedal

Started by smoguzbenjamin, November 09, 2003, 07:20:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoguzbenjamin

Hey guys

I was wondering... I used my boss DD-2 a little while ago to create 2 signals, one slightly delayed after the other, and plugged them into 2 amps. This sounded stereo, and I was happy :) But I also want to use my dd-2 for other things, so I was wondering, why not make a stompbox to do that?

So, could I use a BBD to create one slightly delayed signal? I don't need an echo or reverb, just one signal. Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers
Ben
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

Rodgre

You're basically talking about a chorus without any modulation. I think there must be a chorus out there that has a modulation depth control you can turn all the way down, and still have the delay in there. That or a stereo flanger that does the same thing.

Roger

Arno van der Heijden

Isn't that what the filter matrix switch on an Electric Mistress does?

Paul Marossy

You could jusy buy an Arion "stereo" analog delay pedal for $29. Or a Boss DD-5/DD-6. I don't know much about the DD-2, does it have stereo output?

smoguzbenjamin

Yeah, the DD-2 is the same as DD-3 basically. I don't really want a delay, just a little box that'll take the signal, delay it by 50 ms or so, and then put the delayed signal thru the second output.

Rodgre

Quote from: smoguzbenjaminYeah, the DD-2 is the same as DD-3 basically. I don't really want a delay, just a little box that'll take the signal, delay it by 50 ms or so, and then put the delayed signal thru the second output.

Yeah, the DD2 and DD3 are the same, just that the prices of the components got cheaper so they needed an excuse to drop the price. Look into any affordable delay (a used DD2?) with a wet and dry output. A Chorus will do as well, but if you're really not into the modulation, you have to seek out one which will give you a wet output with no modulation level.

By the way, have you ever tried a chorus in this situation? You'll either love it or you'll hate it.

Quote from: Arno van der HeijdenIsn't that what the filter matrix switch on an Electric Mistress does?

Yes and no. The Filter Matrix switch DOES kill the modulation, but I'm realizing that a flanger isn't going to do what smoguzbenjamin wants. he's looking for a few more milleseconds, and that's more in the "chorus" territory.

The other thing is that the Mistress doesn't give you an ALL WET and an ALL DRY output. Most (not the Boss RBF-10) Flangers don't allow you to go 100% wet.

Roger

smoguzbenjamin

i've got a Boss BF-2 Flanger:
A) its not stereo and
B) I like the flanger doing what it does.

I'll look and see if I can lay my hands on another dd-2 (whoah 2 delays, that's gonna sound cool :D ). Otherwise I'll just look for a BBD IC and bodge something up myself  :o

BTW I've used a stereo ibanez chorus (the old ones with 2 knobs), But at the time I allready had a chorus and thought it unnessecary to get a stereo one. Nice sound though  8)

Mark Hammer

If you have a BF2, you can easily mod it to do what you have described.

If you lift one end of R20 (47k), the output will consist of delay only.  If you rotate the sweep width to fully off, you can then use the manual control to adjust the fixed delay time.

If you want a stunning effect, pick yourself up another BF2 and wire that one up for delay only as well, only use it with the LFO.  If you feed your guitar to these two pedals at once, and feed the outputs of these two pedals to a mixer or DIY mixer stage, you will be able to get through-zero flanging.  Electric Ladyland, here we come.

smoguzbenjamin

Uhm. Yeah. But I don't want to mod any of my existing pedals... I want to build a completely new one to do what I described... I like my flanger, I'm too inexperienced to start modding production pedals! I want  some help in finding a delay IC so I can make a stereo sound (read: two channels).

I think I didn't ask the question very clearly. Sorry! :oops:  I just want something to put on the very end of my effects board, so I can use two amps in stereo. Not dual mono.

man I'm not making any sense today...

Paul Marossy

We had a similar discussion about "stereo" delay pedals not long ago. My post was basically asking how they create a stereo signal from a mono signal. The answer is it's really a pseudo-stereo effect. It sounds stereo-ish, but it's not truly stereo.

I don't know that there is anything you could build that would be true stereo. If all you want to do is send one signal to two different amps, you could build something like this FET Blender circuit:
http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/mixer1.htm
At one of the outputs, you could place a delay set for a very short time interval. I built mine for a similar purpose, but still have yet to try it out...

Hope that helps.

bioroids

You can build a reduced version of the Rebote2 delay and feed the delay and dry signal to 2 different outputs. Then you just have to kill the repeats (feedback). The delay you can get is between 34ms and 664ms (at least on mine). Anyway the delayed signal wont be crisp clean and it has some filtering, maybe if you use short delays you can reduce the filering amount.

The PT2399 you can get it from Small Bear pretty cheap (for a delay chip)

Luck

Miguel
Eramos tan pobres!

Ansil

i am affraid i don't understand..   why would you want to delay the second signal if all you want is to make a second signal,  you either want a time delay or you don't..  if you want any ms  wether 5 or 5 million.  you want a time delay.. if you don't want delay and just want a seperate signal  whynot just build a buffer/splitter. like what is up at geofex.  

normally i wouldn't  send someone there after he tried to make me feel like an ^ss but i am trying to be bigger than that.

smoguzbenjamin

Sorry if I made you feel lik an ass, Ansil.

You're right though. I do want a time delay, but no feedback, as it were. just a second channel that's comes slightly after the original. Or am I the one being an ass?

Ansil

no no.. not you,  RG tried to make me feel that way some time ago, that was the point of "" inormally wouldn't send someone over there"
gotcha on the subject now, so you do want a delay, ok..