News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Wire Gauge

Started by Deep Blue, October 14, 2003, 07:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deep Blue

What gauge of wire is thick enough that you can bend it around and get it to stay in the shape you put it in, but is small enough to fit into the small holes on PCB Boards?  Specifically, the PCB boards JD Sleep sells.
--Deep Blue
resident newbie

ExpAnonColin

Well, breadboard jumper wires work fine for that, but the actual gauge is 22 gauge.  I use it occasionally, it actually works not too badly for some applications like connecting 1/4" jacks to eachothers grounds.

-Colin

Deep Blue

Will 22 gauge fit through PCB holes?

I guess what I want to know is what JD Sleep is using in his pedals.  That seems to work just fine.
--Deep Blue
resident newbie

Peter Snowberg

If you want it to stay in shape, just use solid core wire. I use 24 gauage because it on hand.

-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Deep Blue

Cool, where can I find 24 gauge solid core lead wire?  Radioshack?  Small Bear?
--Deep Blue
resident newbie

Peter Snowberg

After looking at Small Bear I don't see anything. He has bare 22 guage wire and stranded 24 guage. You can give RadioShack a try, but bring along a board to make sure everything fits. You might be able to use anything from 20 up to 26 without trouble.

In a pinch, telephone wire is a decent substitute. The stuff that comes with red-green-yellow wires has more durable insulation.

-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Mike Nichting

yeah, CAT 5 or 7 telephone/data wire is solid and works well. You can't move it around a lot or it tends to break.

Mike
"It's not pollution thats hurting the earth, it's the impurities in the water and air that are doing it".
Quoted from a Vice President Al Gore speech

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

For cheapskates, you sometimes see 50 pair telephone cable when office buildings are being demolished. As a bonus, the wires are striped in diff colors, so it is easy to see what goes where in your circuit. I find it a bit hard to solder sometimes, compared to prime 'new' wire though. Also makes a nice display in a vase :)

gez

I use a fairly thick stranded wire (less prone to breaks) and it stays in place no problem, yet is flexible enough to bend round all the corners if need be.

I bought a load of the stuff ages ago and I've lost the pack, so I don't know what gauge it is (sorry!).  I'm dropping by my local supplier today, if they've got anything similar I'll make a note of what it is and report back.  It's fine with PCB (you don't need to drill gigantic holes).
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

gez

Just found the old pack, it's 24/0.2 stranded wire.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

jsleep

Deep Blue,

If you can afford it (it's not too dear), the 24 gauge pre-bonded wire that Small Bear sells is simply the best hookup wire around, period.  This is stranded, pre-tinned thruout wire, so it has the best of both worlds (stranded and solid core).  It doesn't break as easily under stress as solid core does and it retains it's shape pretty well when formed somewhat like solid core.

It is _so_ easy to work with, it's all I ever use now.  Great stuff.

JD
For great Stompbox projects visit http://www.generalguitargadgets.com

bettycat

Quote from: jsleepDeep Blue,

If you can afford it (it's not too dear), the 24 gauge pre-bonded wire that Small Bear sells is simply the best hookup wire around, period.  This is stranded, pre-tinned thruout wire, so it has the best of both worlds (stranded and solid core).  It doesn't break as easily under stress as solid core does and it retains it's shape pretty well when formed somewhat like solid core.

It is _so_ easy to work with, it's all I ever use now.  Great stuff.

JD

Yeppp, I second that ! This wire is very good (also for guitar wiring jobs) and the price is ok - you always get in this world what you are paying for.