Suggest a warm overdrive?

Started by Parade, October 18, 2003, 04:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parade

Can anyone suggest one?
I have an old blues driver that died really bad, wires all came off, I am going to sacrifice it for parts.
I wanted to build a nice overdrive pedal.
Not one that has massive gain, I just want a soft light gain, enough to crunch but light.
It takes a strong man to carry a bolder across a thousand miles, but an even stronger man to carry a burden for all eternity.

aron

Blue Magic will do the job and very well!

petemoore

There are some choices for this at Tim's Circuit Snippets link...and Runoff Grooves Double D is one I built.
 The Double D is Smooth, but Distortion is what I'd call the way it's working for what Im using it for.
 But the CMOS 'Smooth' thing's really cool for the way that chip can sound [4069].
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

petemoore

Throw some LEDS in there and the clipping is softened greatly, the output goes up too ... this can create great OD tones by distorting mildly and criving the amp into helping distort/compress.

Most of the single OA designs with clippers can be modded to get anything from OD to Distortion...Tweekin the Gain knob and swappin diode config's you can dail in tones from OD to Distortion rpretty easy.
 Good to put it with the setup it's intended for and dial around on the amps knobs and the Vol and Gain Knobs of the Ckt.
 Stock the EQ is pretty good but adding small cap to ground at output and varying the incap value allows further EQing [like most ckts of the OD DIST type].
 Straight foreward const. [they always fired right up [I build more than four] and good generic grind.

Tubescreamer [something with the diodes in the OA feedback loop] type ckts. work great fer the smooth drive sound... Blue Magic gets that [using a different method] softer edged OD/Dist and gets the thumbs up for being slick [Fets Rock].

I've gotten FF's to OD real nice...Right now Im using one that's about clean but boosty with brittle highs ...spanky.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

brett

The cmos circuits are definately creamy.  The CD4049 circuits are all good.  The tube-like fuzz at my website or Mark Hammer's take on the tube sound fuzz are both good.  All of the diode-based distortions are sharper than a softly-driven CD4049 in my opinion.

have fun!
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Gary

Mark Hammer

The Rangemaster adds a little zip without being identifiable as fuzz.