Easy Beginner Project suggestions?

Started by travissk, October 21, 2003, 11:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

travissk

Hello,
 I've got a friend that heard I'm into DIY stompboxes and the like, and he wants me to help him build a pedal or two.
   I suggested the beginner's project here and he said he doesn't need a boost, so even though that's the perfect way to introduce him to the stuff it's not an option. The catch is he wants something that he doesn't already have and would make a decently large difference in his sound. Basically, no boost  :(
   He's specificially interested in some type of fuzz, which made me think of the fuzz face (perhaps like the one that Small Bear has a tutorial for), or the Muff Fuzz if that's the next project the beginners' forum gets.
   I think that anything that kind of "twists" the sound in a weird way would be pretty cool. I know Ring Mods aren't exactly the easiest things to build; can anyone say how easy the Green Ringer would be?

Are there any other suggestions on what I should help him build? I know that this is a little vague, but basically are there any beginner/easy intermediate-level projects you guys really enjoy using? I'm just looking for something that isn't insanely difficult to build and will sound good enough for him to keep up the hobby  :D

Rory

I like integrating two or more "stompboxes" into one package.  One of my absolute favorites is some sort of fuzz (the bazz fuss works really well) feeding Tim's idiot wah.  I then use a regular pot to control the idiot wah's frequency.  Real Zeppelin/STPish.
Rock

Samuel

Well the part selection is a little weird, but I found the Tychobrahe Octavia to be a very easy build. Low part count, and JD Sleep's PCB layout makes it a lead pipe sinch. True you'll pretty much have to order the transformer from smallbear or mouser, but it's a straightforward build that gives you a pretty crazy sound.

bwanasonic

First off, EVERYONE needs a boost,
 if they realize it or not. 
:)  It really can be suprising how versatile one can be. Secondly, I wanted to mention that the Fuzz Face may well be an excellent choice, BUT although the build is about as simple as it gets, getting it to work with a particular setup may be a lot harder. If your friend uses passive pickups and a tube amp, a fuzz face is perfect. With an EMG equipped guitar into a POD, the Fuzz Face might not be the best choice. If you use a prefab PCB the Green Ringer isn't that difficult ( it's the first DIY I made), but it's not the world's most versatile effect.  I know something that *twists* the sound can be a lot of fun, but what's even cooler is making a pedal you actually use everyday and really becomes part of *your* sound.

Kerry M

Greg Moss

I'll second the Tyco Octavia.  It's got a lot of character, aand is a pretty easy build.

brett

I reckon you can't go past Joe Gagan's easyface (check it out at tonepad.com), or my NPN silicon version of the EasyFace - the EZ-FUZZ (check my web link below).  Guaranteed cool-sounding fuzz, and simpler than the tubescreamer-type pedals.  If you want extra-simple, try Joe's EasyDrive or Overdrive.  Other than that, the orange-squeezer compressor is easy (but fairly subtle) or an MXR distortion plus fuzz (that's good for rock'n'roll).  

Also, a Rebote delay (version 1) is only intermediate difficulty and gives a great sound, especially if you don't already have a reverb tank on your amp.  Even if you do, you can still  add a great empty-auditorium-like effect to your playing.

Have fun!!
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Joe Bonner

I was going to give the NPN boost a try as my first build, but I was intrigued by the Sili-Face II (http://www.runoffgroove.com/sili-face2.html), so I thought I'd give it a whirl last weekend.

Aron's tutorial on the beginner's project page was very helpful (and I'll probably build the NPN boost next   :D ).

It was very easy to see where I screwed up when it didn't work -- I found a few spots on the board that weren't connected to anything. Duh!

Joe

al3151

A SiliFace is good but I would like to recomend an Orange Sunshine Fuzz for its simplicity and high gain fuzz sound.BTW sounds great with BC108c trannies and is responsive to the guitar volume like a FuzzFace,In fact the layout is near identicle just different value components.

Mark Hammer

I still put in my vote for a loop box.  If you are looking for an absolute beginner project, it's a perfect fit.  There is nothing to burn out, no component properties to be misinformed or concerned about, VERY little to troubleshoot, easy to make, and it has lasting usefulness.  Everybody who has one quickly wonders how they got along without one all these years.

Marcos - Munky

The BAzz Fuss is the best begginer project. Very low parts cont (only only 6 if you use one pot) and cool sound.

petemoore

MO agrees with the earlier post, you don't know how much you need a good boost till you miss it...They're so fast and easy and useful...I've been known to just leave some perf on one side of a Fuzz ckt ..lol..for where the booster's gonna go [if I like] ... I'll chose the booster for the 'New' [to me] Fuzz from the stocks I have around already boxxed w/switch, then build the one I like with the new Fuzz right on the new Fuzz's perfboard ..............................can find the 'other' sound in the ckt by adding the boost to it [add ~6$ and 30 minutes] made some of my faves this way.
 Whatever style...trust you can probably use a booster to your advantage...Mosfet=very clean &powerful , lpb's=add some 'character' Ge's add much character, Jfet smoothy ... you can easily get substantial results fairly easily with any of these [Lpb is EZest IMO] the Ge's usually take some tweekin' and swapping Q's etc.
 I've tried most all of the aforementioned Fuzzes and all work very well [except the Muff FUzz which mine does 'work'] and give usable results, all the FF's types are good fun, each of the ckts work differently.
 Opamp clippers are cool and not too tuff, IMO good 'generic' [just what Dr. often orders] OD/Distortion covers wide variety of needs, Dist+ types like the DOD OD250, New Clipper, last but not least the Ibanez Sonic Distortion which I use and built from [I think everything's at RS for that] available parts, note: socketed diodes and input cap are great EZ mods to build into these.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

MarkB

BazzFuss - or Tim's Rambler... perhaps the Smash Drive..
all of those are VERY low parts count and VERY good sounding and useful pedals!

The Rambler behind another fuzz is just TOO cool... maybe a BazzFuss/Rambler combo? (there would still only be like 15 parts in there!)
"-)

travissk

Wow, thanks for all the replies everybody.

I think I will try to convince him he needs a boost after all due to both the general usefulness, easy build and excellent tutorial. If that doesn't work we might do the Muff Fuzz intermediate build (if it works).

Actually, I might just direct him to this thread and tell him to pick one... kid in a candy store I'm sure :)

I might hint toward the Octavia though, because I don't have one and it wouldn't hurt me to build one side-by-side for myself  8)

Again, thanks everybody for your input!

aron

Yes, I made the NPN boost the first project because it had a relatively low parts count and I had some material made.

The next project will be a distortion.