Modding a Boss Super Shifter pedal

Started by cb, October 23, 2003, 03:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cb

I have a Boss Super Shifter (PS-5, I think?) that has a nice vibrato arm flutter feature. You press the pedal, and the pedal manipulates the pitch as though you were repeatedly pressing the guitar's vibrato arm.

The problem is I want to change the preprogrammed pattern. There is an exaggerated "dive" followed by a simple vibrato that repeats as long as the pedal is pressed. I'd like to reduce the effect of the initial "exaggerated" part - and maybe create some new "patterns" later.

I haven't opened it up yet, but wouldn't it be cool if there were a standard DSP chip in there, and an anonymous Boss engineer perusing this board posted the addresses of the variables and/or code I need to tweak! I know, I know... dream on.

Quote from: cb
The problem is I want to change the preprogrammed pattern. There is an exaggerated "dive" followed by a simple vibrato that repeats as long as the pedal is pressed. I'd like to reduce the effect of the initial "exaggerated" part - and maybe create some new "patterns" later.

before you mod it, learn how to use it! :D

the initial dive is actually determined by the pitch knob.  after the initial dive (or rise), it always resorts to the same simple vibrato... but the initial dive can be adjusted according to the pitch you set it at.  so if you set it at "1/2 pitch down" or "1/2 pitch up", it should be sufficient for your use.

Nasse

Im ready for retiring for this stuff...

My advice would have been to do like Jimi H, Hank B Marvin and other Stratocaster trem arm heroes: Put on all five tremolo springs on yout strat, and balance your system by tuning and re-adjusting few times, after you have changed to thicker-than-ordinary (light tops-heavy bottoms is a good starting point, the thicker the strings, the better is the sound) string gauge and some arm muscle and callouses rehearsal (its easier than you think, few days or weeks do the job). Nowadays you can fake it with teflon nut, in the old days you needed some grease at yout nut. And all you need is some tape delay (nowadays digital delays do it nice) to pronounce your vibrato work, and of course some melodic and rhytmic ear so that your bends blends with music, ...

You said you can buy this digital...
  • SUPPORTER

cb

Admittedly, I need to tinker with it some more. But I already have the pitch shift set to the minimum increment (down, in this case). I don't have the pedal in front of me - I'm at work :( - but I'll check it out more thoroughly tonight.