Radio Shack Components

Started by ildar, October 25, 2003, 01:01:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ildar

I've noticed that the resistors that I've bought at RS are a bit larger than the ones in my commercial stompboxes. Are there any differences? In other words, are resistors of the same value actually equal regardless of their physical size? Am I making sense?

C Bradley

Quote from: ildarI've noticed that the resistors that I've bought at RS are a bit larger than the ones in my commercial stompboxes. Are there any differences? In other words, are resistors of the same value actually equal regardless of their physical size? Am I making sense?
You're saying that the 1/4 watt resistors from Radio Shack are bigger than the 1/4 watt resistors in your effects? Are you sure the resistors in your effects are 1/4 watt? The Radio Shack resistors are the same size as the resistors in most of my effects.

Chris B
Chris B

Got Fuzz?

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

A quarter watt metal film resistor is usually smaller than a 1/4w carbon.
Also, some resistors are rated to run hotter than others, a 1/4w rated to run hot will be smaller, probably. Don't worry about it (except, if you are buying resistrs from RS, you are paying too much!)

ErikMiller

I just got a lesson in Radio Shack jack quality this evening whilst having a guitar player friend check out my silicon Fuzz Face.

The output jack became intermittent while he was playing, so I opened it up and discovered that I still had the original open-frame Radio Shack Chinese jacks in it.

There was nothing visibly wrong with the output jack, but wiggling the plug in it made it cut out and in.

I pulled them both and replaced the input jack with one of the budget Neutriks I got at Mouser (more about those later), and the output with a Switchcraft from the surplus store.

I was chagrined, but he pointed out that this kind of thing was why I am building prototypes and having people test them (I am considering making stompboxes for money).

Never again on the Chinese Radio Shack jacks, though. I'd use one for an emergency repair, and then get the thing out of there as soon as possible.

ildar

Well, now I see that these are all 1/2 watt resistors. This leads to my next question: can I use these instead of 1/4 watt in a built-from scratch pedal?

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

yeah, you can use a 1/2w instead of a 1/4w, if they fit physically.

ildar

Ok, another question: can I mix 1/4 watt and 1/2 watt resistors?

Peter Snowberg

Absolutely. :)

Just don't substitute a 1/4 watt resistor if the circuit calls for 1/2 watt. For building pedals 1/4 watt is ovekill most of the time, but you can always use larger units.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Jered

Erik, if your going to sell pedals for peoples hard earned cash, you should probably refrain from using anything from RS inside the pedals. Go Smallbear. It will save you and your customers a headache.
 Jered

petemoore

Are just fine if you have nothing else and you continuity is not an issue...lol
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Paul Marossy

A lot of the commercial pedals, such as Boss, use 1/8 watt resistors which are about half the size of the 1/4 watt ones.

Jered

I use 1/8 W on most of my PCB's but I use 1/4 W with my breadboards because they are easier to handle. Using 1/8 W lets me make PCB's nice and small.
 Jered

ErikMiller

QuoteErik, if your going to sell pedals for peoples hard earned cash, you should probably refrain from using anything from RS inside the pedals

That's pretty much what I was saying.

The unit we were testing was a prototype, and I had forgotten that I had built it up using RS jacks while waiting for my Neutriks to come in.

This pedal has never even made it outside my house, and the damn jack became intermittent!

I don't think anyone should use Radio Shack jacks REGARDLESS of the application.

Doug H

My experience is stay away from the RS jacks and wire. Their resistors, caps, semiconductors are okay if you are in a pinch- they are expensive, though.

Doug

petemoore

At RS, but I don't know that you could build one anymore from their parts...they've really reduced their inventory of DIY type stuff.
 I guess the cell phones and satellitesystems  sell more.
 I still like their knobs, and I've seen many pics around here of switches that look suspiciously RS.      ???

petemoore

The ones in the droor at radio shack...DPDT for ~3.99$
 They seem to work...but are they good.
 Just looking for comments and experiences or test results.
 Ive been using these and dont think I've had problems...hard to tell cause I've had problems, but can't say for certain it was the sw or anything else...[signal loss/squeals] because it always happened live and I just fixed it real quick and didn't try to isolate where it was coming from.
 I'm suspect of everything that could cause a problem...today it is these RS switches...OK I admitted it. Now you too can admit [I know some have used these in a 'pinch'] that yes you too used those RS switches.

smallbearelec

The problem with the RS Chinese-made 1/4" jacks has been mentioned before here. If you can't afford Switchcraft, Mouser's DGS line is an acceptable alternate. Many of RS's toggle switches are Miyama--good quality, but very pricey. Some of the slide and rotary switches are Alpha--also good.

If you know what to avoid, RS is OK to go to for an emergency "something". It's really too bad that they were forced out of the bulk components biz. They had major plans for it, but the profit margins were just too thin for them to compete with the other big players.

Dai H.

Older resistors of the same wattage can be bigger compared to their modern counterparts, and vice a versa, except the voltage handling capability may be less for the modern smaller part (but if you're using them in a 9V-powered stompbox, I guess it won't matter).

Dai

Paul Marossy

I generally try to stay away from RS, but sometimes, it's more cost effective to get something there since it's around the corner. It's a waste of money to spend five dollars in parts and have to pay five dollars to ship it.  :cry: