News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Quick Quiz

Started by d_rom, October 27, 2003, 02:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_rom

Here's a quick quiz:
What is the rectangular symbol near the AC input that is labled "500mA"?
THanks for the help-
-dan

Marcos - Munky

d_rom

That's what I originally thought, but it turns out that S1 is the line fuse...
...?

Erich F

Marcos is right. S-1 is a switch.

Marcos - Munky

Yeah, the S1 is a switch that turns the power on and off. I think you thinked that is a fuse because of the values, the switches have values too, just pick a simple DPST or SPST toggle switch and take a look.

freebird1127

I think you're all wrong.  It's obviously a 500mA Transcievaductificator.   :twisted:
Evan Haklar
What's the difference between incompetence and indifference?  I don't know and I don't care!

gez

Quote from: freebird1127I think you're all wrong.  It's obviously a 500mA Transcievaductificator.   :twisted:

Nah...they stopped making those years ago!
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

jrc4558

HOWEVER!!!

Fulltone offers an exact replacement, handwound, leakage cheked and individualy measured for the best performance and they are mere $325.00 per piece!!!

Sorry, just felt natural. :D

Hal

Quote from: gez

I think you can get some NOS from smallbear ;)

Peter Snowberg

You can also find units on the surplus market that were made in Hungary during the cold war. Filament life is lower, but they test good for microphonics, and trasfrobnication is decent. They sound much better than rock cod without the pronounced midrange of a rainbow trout.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

gez

I'm sorry Peter, Transfrobnication may be decent, but I've heard reports that only one in three Hungarian units are ok, the rest have poor transtaggeration ratios.  It just goes to show...there's nothing like the originals!
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

freebird1127

Quote from: gezI'm sorry Peter, Transfrobnication may be decent, but I've heard reports that only one in three Hungarian units are ok, the rest have poor transtaggeration ratios.  It just goes to show...there's nothing like the originals!

Indeed you're right, gez.  This was due to resentment on behalf of the transtaggeration ratio-calculating personnel, due to low pay/compensation (ie: food stamps... or lack thereof...) during the war.  As you may or may not know, a union between the transtaggeration workers and the royal philharmonic frobnicatorchestra was formed shortly after the war, and as a result, units made during the war are of "compromised" value, and units made thereafter are... not as compromised.

PS>>> My entire family is Hungarian.  Serious.  Tutsz Magyarul?
Evan Haklar
What's the difference between incompetence and indifference?  I don't know and I don't care!

gez

Quote from: freebird1127[during the war.  As you may or may not know, a union between the transtaggeration workers and the royal philharmonic frobnicatorchestra was formed shortly after the war, and as a result, units made during the war are of "compromised" value, and units made thereafter are... not as compromised.

I hate to get picky, but post-war units are still flawed due to the exclusion of the Phaseographers from the Union.  If only they’d have given in to their beetroot demands this whole sorry episode would have had a very different outcome…sigh.

Manolo Dudes

Gruv-Toobs offer 'em hand selected. Worth a try.
a.k.a. "Calambres" in www.pisotones.com

ErikMiller

I thought I saw a schematic for a test fixture at R.G. Keen's "Technology of the Theo's Stand-alone Solid State Relay" page.

Peter Snowberg

Quote from: freebird1127the royal philharmonic frobnicatorchestra

That sounds like a great pedal! A ring modulator into several reverbs and chorus' in parallel. :D

There is a rumor that the original Soviet bloc transcievaductificator tooling is sitting in a warehouse in Budapest. Several years ago the owner was looking to trade it for two 40 foot shipping containers full of "Mr. T" Chia Pets.  I pitty the foo that passed up that deal.

Famous Hungarian John von Neumann next to a first generation transcievaductificator burn-in station.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation