tone control help needed, pls....

Started by rx5, October 28, 2003, 11:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rx5

hi guys,

anyone can help with making a tone control (bass,mid,treble) with an adjustable "center frequency" ??? in adjusting the center freq, is this a parametric type....???  

wanna incproprate it to my distortion box......

any info/links pls..... :) :)   tnx....
BE d Bezt, Urz D Rezt... RoCk ON!!!

Doug H

GEOFEX has an article on how to build parametric EQ's. Check there.

Doug

rx5

thanks man.... :)

er.. any other info/links??

rx5

BTW, what is "CONTOUR" control in marshall shredmaster??? is it a simple mid control or a parametric???   :)

Mark Hammer

1) Adjustable centre F: pots can take up far too much room in pedals, and between pots and the knobs they require, that adds up too.  Consider using minitoggles to select a couple fo centre frequencies of interest, by selecting between a few critical tuning components, rather than a pot to have a much broader range.

2) Contour: Seems to me I answered this not that long ago.  Should be in the archives.  The short answer is that EQ controls act on specific bands, where those controls legended on the chassis as "Contour" often shift the overall balance of frequency content in a manner than doesn't emphasis a particular band.  In some ways, the classic Big Muff tone control is a good candidate to be called "Contour", even though they call it Tone.  When a device HAS Treble and Bass controls, though, or something which functions like a true equalization device by adjusting one part of the spectrum and leaving the rest of it the hell alone, AND that device incorporates another class of tonal adjustment control, that latter control is often called Contour.

Paul Marossy

I think it was my post about the contour control on the Boutique Fuzz Face you're thinking of Mark.  8)

I remember you went through and explained how that works.

idlefaction

looking at the contour, it's a LP filter on one side (with loads of weirdness hanging out one side) and a notch filter on the other.  so, big muff styles, it sweeps between a 'treble cut' sound and a 'mid scoop' sound.

looks kinda cool, actually.  :)  if anyone knows some maths, it would be neat to hack it into the TSC.
Darren
NZ