testing a tube recordplayer/ radio? where do i start

Started by marrstians, November 11, 2003, 09:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marrstians

i have an old bakelite recordplayer with a radio in it... no inputs or outputs, all in one tube amp/ recordplayer/ radio... what's the best way to find out why i only have minor output.... barly audible output.... all the tubes light up but i'm not sure where the signal stops and where i should start looking....

petemoore

Connect input hot to the needles connection. right at the needle. or more likely where that connects into the amp section, replacing the needle wires.
 The needles wire is probably shielded and this would be ground.
 Before you tear it up, you might consider what these things can be worth to collectors, I think I saw one on Antiques Roadshow, it could be werth the very pretty penny someday, like tomorrow...I would check first !!!
 We had one like this, I remem Simon, Garfunkel, then these Rolling Stones and Beatles guys were heard making the little box sing !!! Sorry but them early musical memories got me there...I'm tempted to offer  you 50$  for it if it works.
 And remem it's not the needle weight, or scratching it across the record that [really] damages LP's...it's the debri or a worn out [or cheep non diamond] needle that does the abrading. You can probably still find needles for this..around somewhere.
 It is possible that you could fabricate something that would plug in right where the needle connections are, I think the needles mechanical connection is also the electrical one.
 I'd try that so you don't have to tear it up, these things are classics.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Regan

Chances are with something like this, you have a weak output tube. The output tube is the tube that would be working in a unit like that so the preamp tubes are probably fine, even if the person was blasting their Animals albums at full volume the preamp tubes are not being pushed hard. The output tube however,,,,,
Regan

petemoore

And re-cabinettizing...but I like these little amps! They allow you to spend much more money on accessories though too.
 I found output tubes to be 'stepped on' in these often times, and the pre-tubes are usually fine too.
 I replace the output tubes, and also I hook up 'more[ speaker...you can probably 'chow' that speaker in no time driving a guitar or distorted/Boosted guitar into it. I just try like heck to go equal ohmage [measure the old ones ohmage before it dies with DMM...or read on the back...lol] and double the 'facia' or twice the cone area as original.
 Let me know how it's going...I ended ripping out everything [ampchassis and speaker and etc] and building a new box for everything.
 Lotta work but also lotta less work than building one or earning the cash to buy one that's user friendly...Likewise and vice versa "the Big 'M' also won't do what this thing does". ie the sweet little amp SOUNDS like a sweet little amp, and just loves being driven by SB's.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.