Substituting JFets

Started by Bill_F, November 14, 2003, 09:26:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill_F

Is a J201 a decent replacement for a 2N5485? It's going to be used in Brett's Pale Blue Box power amp.

Thanks,
Bill

Mugshot

upping this thread!

im also interested for a replacement for a 2N5485 transistor for a Millenium circuit (Millenium 1 i believe) for an LPB build from tonepad. all the parts are already in, and the only thing missing is the bypass transistor.

so i ask the guys here, what exactly can be used to replace a 2N5485? the local dealer seem to have a hard time sourcing out this part.
i am what i am, so are you.

Mugshot

Quote from: Mugshot on May 17, 2009, 09:40:48 PM
upping this thread!

im also interested for a replacement for a 2N5485 transistor for a Millenium circuit (Millenium 1 i believe) for an LPB build from tonepad. all the parts are already in, and the only thing missing is the bypass transistor.

so i ask the guys here, what exactly can be used to replace a 2N5485? the local dealer seem to have a hard time sourcing out this part.

additional question. for a Millennium 1 bypass as in this LPB build, http://www.tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=68, would any FETwork? like?[/size]

ralley

I've built Millennium 2's with a 2N3819, worked fine.  Here is the vero layout I drew up:

Rob
Sender lawyers, guns and money
The sh*t has hit the fan.
   - Warren Zevon

bipedal

Quoteim also interested for a replacement for a 2N5485 transistor for a Millenium circuit (Millenium 1 i believe) for an LPB build from tonepad. all the parts are already in, and the only thing missing is the bypass transistor.

I've swapped an MPF102 for a 2n5485 in a Millenium 1 -- worked fine, no other parts swaps needed.  Think I got the idea from Tonepad's Tonepad's LBP-1 layout, which refers to the MPF102 in the parts list but 2n5485 in the schematic re: the mill bypass...

- Jay
"I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won't work." -T. Edison
The Happy Household; The Young Flyers; Derailleur

Mugshot

Quote from: bipedal on May 18, 2009, 10:09:19 AM
Quoteim also interested for a replacement for a 2N5485 transistor for a Millenium circuit (Millenium 1 i believe) for an LPB build from tonepad. all the parts are already in, and the only thing missing is the bypass transistor.

I've swapped an MPF102 for a 2n5485 in a Millenium 1 -- worked fine, no other parts swaps needed.  Think I got the idea from Tonepad's Tonepad's LBP-1 layout, which refers to the MPF102 in the parts list but 2n5485 in the schematic re: the mill bypass...

- Jay

exactly what confuses me. the schem for tonepad's LPB specifies a 2N5485, while the bill of materials states that MPF102 or any FET will do.  ???

bipedal

As I understand it, virtually any N-channel jfet ought to work in the Mill 1 bypass.

I did a quick search, see this thread -- someone else has raised this question, a few suggestions in the response...

Good luck.
"I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won't work." -T. Edison
The Happy Household; The Young Flyers; Derailleur