substituting values

Started by sfr, November 14, 2003, 04:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfr

So I built three pedals (Orange Squeezer, Dist+ and Brown Sound in a Box, three from my "mean to do someday" list) today, (but I haven't finished wiring them up yet)  On one I didn't have the appropriate resistor, so I ran two together to make the appropriate value, but in a couple spots I didn't have the right cap or resistor values in my parts bins, so I went with "close enough".  I marked down which things I replaced, so if it's really off, I can go back and fix them when I get the right parts; and I've done this before usually with no problem - but I was wondering, are there general rules of them for how close is "close enough" when forced to make part substitutions?  I assume this would change with circumstances like if it's for biasing or not, and what have you, but I was just curious what people had to say.
sent from my orbital space station.

ahermida

I normally build the pedal the 1st time with whatever values the schematic has or close enough.  Once I know the pedal works, then I start replacing resistors with pots (to tweak) and installing socket strips in the caps so it makes it easy to change without soldering.  I think many people here do the same.  If  you do something wrong, the smell of burnt components or the sound (or lack of it) will let you know.

Alf

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

What you can "get way with" unfortunately varies entirely with the circuit, and where you are in the circuit. But, generlly speaing, doubling or halving a resistor won't burn out any fx boxes (unless it is supplying bias to a BBD maybe!). And caps, the same.
But there is no point troubleshooting a "non-worker" unless you built it EXACTLY as they said..

ExpAnonColin

For the most part, if you substitute a 100k resistor when it asks for 95k of resistance, you'll be OK.  More likely to effect the sound than make it blow up.  However, if it asks for 2 watt and you put in half watt, that's a recipe for destruction.  My general rules are...  if I don't have the exact right components, I need to stock up.

-Colin