Ebay Klon Centaur?

Started by Alex C, October 30, 2003, 11:02:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex C

Hey, I saw this on Ebay today.  

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2568075399&category=41416

Where's the gold box and the centaur "horseman" logo?  The box looks the same except for the color, and the knobs appear to be the same type, and the placement of switch, knobs, and LED seem the same.  Is this just an older unit?   The seller doesn't provide much info at all about year or anything.

afranks

No... it's a new one.  The enclosures are no longer anodized gold, and
the little centaur guy is gone.  All in the name of increasing profit, I
suppose.  I think the gold version looked better.
-alan

phillip

Yeah the gold box and the Centaur logo definitely made it look a whole lot better...now it looks...plain.

Phillip

Rodgre

I have to admit that I've never actually heard a Centaur, so I can't even say whether it's worth a dime or not, but picture this. A guy designs a circuit that fulfills a lot of guitar player's wants, decides to build JUST that one pedal and never stray, and decides to charge whatever he wants for it. People still buy it, and no one has cracked his code yet (and I for one, hope that it doesn't get cracked.)

I have a lot of respect for someone who can bu ild a pedal and gain enough of a reputation that he can probably sell two or more a week for about $400 profit AT LEAST. That's a decent living off of making a pedal. I'm sure he's probably a nuclear physicist or master electrician on top of that, so I say good for him!

So has anyone here actually used/owned a Centaur? You have to admit that he was doing the "clean boost" thing WAY before anyone else was.

I agree that the anodized gold looked cooler with the red knobs, though.

Roger

gdmart

is there a good schematic of this pedal around? I like to build one.any one done that??

Yuan Han

wow you digged up this post from long long ago..... nope i havn't seen the schemo ard......but yeah the ebay's link dead too

Han

cd

Nope.  There is no schem floating around.  I don't doubt someone has traced it, but the pedal has been out since 1993 (or before - I don't remember exactly) and nothing has ever surfaced.

Lonestarjohnny

I bought my first Klon in Dallas at the the Guitar show in 95, Met the builder, he dropped buy to see my Tube display,invited me down to his booth to listen to his pedal, he said it might be something ineresting for a guy that liked tweed amp's,, I listened and it was the best sounding and most transparent boost I had heard, bought my 2cd about 4 years ago from a guy on line, both are gold, and they both sound good, I don't care what he use's inside, he's too nice a guy for me to wanta scrape all that hard goo off just to see what he did, My opinion is the Boost off Aron's Newbie page is better for what i like, the Klon's a very good pedal and if you don't know how to build a booster, then it make's his pedal well worth every penny he want's for it in my book,
Lonestarjohnny

BIGROCKSHOW

Didn't KWS (Kenny Wayne Shepard) use one?

AL

For what it's worth ... I did a show approx 1 year ago in Nashville. We were fortunate enough to open for some VERY good and talented studio players - big name guys with big time pedal boards. Out of the 3 guitar players 1 had a Klon ... the other two ... they were both using Nobels ODR-1's for their clean boost. I was told from one of the Nobels users that the other player was thinking about swapping his Klon for a Nobels. Maybe it's a Nashville thing? But, I have a Nobels ODR-1 and it's a great pedal - I can't afford a Klon. So maybe that is an option or build the AMZ booster - that's a great little pedal and a quick build.  :)

AL