Batteries "Vs" Magnet

Started by petemoore, November 15, 2003, 12:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore

Whoops...was thinking that batteries might not like being stuck to a magnets.
 I'm using NiMh, and NiCd rechargeables, and was thinking...[there I go again] of mounting a magnet in the pedalboard case, using it to hold batteries, slide, and any other magnetically attracted items in the case.
 I'm thinking [there I go again] the partial shielding on the battery cases would not adequately prevent the magnetic field from interfereing with the alignment of electrons in the batteries stored charge state, possibly drawing current, or changing the character of the materials in the battery.
 I'm trying to form reasonable questions about the alignment of electrons in my head, but that's entirely another matter...lol
 Happy Birthday to me...Happy Birthday to Me...Happy Birthday to anyone else who has this week !!!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

gez

I recently bought some magnetic connectors designed for use with batteries, so I shouldn't think it would be a problem (bleedin' hope not, they cost an arm and a leg!).
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

gez

PS I was forgetting the most important thing...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :D
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

gez

petemoore

I made a nice Urethane tube [this stuff is really great because it's semi-clear, bonds stronger than itself to itself with heat 'I used a teflon pan this time', almost infinitely impermiable to moisture, lasts forever etc., it's useable for many things with a little creativity]
 Anyway it's just a semi-flexible tube I slip the batteries [up to four for 9v this model] into, then I slip the tube under [ I have the front end of a rack mount angled up and slightly elevated on the floor of the pedalboard case] to me the perfect solution, since there'll be chords stuffed in there too I won't have any unecessary fixtures there.
 The Slide mount is a key, bent to exacting [lol] specs screwed to the floor of the case.
 I have a small stash of the urethane, I used it for a strats whammy bar 'holder' spring [keeps tension on the bar and keeps it from falling toward gravity]...I just got the right sized glob of it going, [exacting specs here too...bout ~1/4'' tall and witdth of the hole] using heat, let it cool and harden [takes about 10 sec.], then stick it in the bottom of the whammy bar hole, and screw the bar down on it. If you want it back out of there, heat an end of E string, stick it in the glob, let it cool a minute or two, and pull.  
That urethane might be available, I got it when we we're making the worlds only [no more], urethane gloves, really the best dang gloves...wayy better than latex [OT].
 I used as a similar spring as the strat bar on an RC car's axle...never had a problem in either case, and this stuff has saved me many trips to the store for many different this's and thats's. I'ts really super stuff. Ive made heat form fit covers for items that stand a little heat for a minute [it starts bonding [melting] at about 200-250], we got it from Stevens Urethane, I believe Dupont had a hand in the ingredients.  
 I'll try and get the name of the other suplier we used if anyone's interested.
 Would make excellent custom insulator sheaths for ckt boards.               It was Available in 1 mil. through 20 mil thicknesses

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

A magnet isn't going to hurt any battery, nohow.

zachary vex

hmm.  a strong enough magnet might make the electrons come out sideways... heh.

bwanasonic

Quote from: petemoore... 'I used a teflon pan this time'

A bit on the news recently how nasty teflon can be for your health. Esp. really hot nonstick cookware (500 F). Fumes can cause flu like symptoms and generally be bad for your lungs. A lot of  places are trying to figure how to get it out of the water supply, as it's pretty much everywhere in the enviroment now.

http://www.checnet.org/healthehouse/education/articles-detail.asp?Main_ID=600

Don't know what I'll cook my eggs in now
KErry M

petemoore

We've burnt teflon pans before ...[ahvent we all?] they do't smell good and used to make one wonder if that's what giving me a headache...
 Sure works good for that purpose though, I think it would stick to a regular surface [meaning it would get 'glommed' after the first time...using oil would ruin the effect of the seam...I'm sure they'll come out with an alternative that surely doesn't work as good, and or is more expensive...lol

gez

Quote from: petemooreSure works good for that purpose though, I think it would stick to a regular surface [meaning it would get 'glommed' after the first time...using oil would ruin the effect of the seam...I'm sure they'll come out with an alternative that surely doesn't work as good, and or is more expensive...lol

Teflon is a big con!  I became aware of the health risks quite a while ago and switched to stainless steel.  The way to get food not to stick is to use a LOT lower heat.  

Teflon is an insulator and requires a fair bit of heat in order to cook food.  If you make the switch to copper/steel you have to adjust to the new medium, i.e. turn down the heat (sometimes REALLY low!).  It took me about a week to get used to this (most stuff stuck at first), but now I have no problems at all.  

Better for your health, lower fuel bills!

petemoore

I used to cook eggs over easy using the 'flip' method [no spatula]in an old IRON pan [they truly last forever].
 to get a pan seasoned properly [so the oils is all permeated in the 'pores', ya get your pan all clean [brillo], all super rinsed and dried with a rag, get it hot so a drop of water jumps on it...the put oil [fairly generous amount, in it and distribute it over the entire cooking surface.
 Once seasoned, try to just use hot water on the hot pan [just after cooking] and a brush to agitate, then wipe it with a rag. soap will cut the oil and de- season it.
 Try to always leave it with oil 'in/on' it. If you don't use the pan for a long time it won't rust, and the oil could become funky...for the first next cook [re-season?].

BillyJ

Say Gez where did you get those? They look like they might be fun.

gez

Quote from: BillyJSay Gez where did you get those? They look like they might be fun.

Unfortunately the only place I've been able to find them is Maplin.  They're the UK equivalent of Radio Shack and just as crap!  Thankfully they sell these in my local branch and they're one of the few things that seem to be always in.  

I bought them to use as connectors/standoffs between two boards, but you could also use them for LEDs etc.  They're bloody strong if you have any worries in that department!

Google 'Magtrix magnetic connectors' and you might find a US supplier, or contact them here:

http://www.magtrixconnectors.com/

If that doesn't work you can always buy them mail order from here:

www.maplin.co.uk

BillyJ

Cool man thanks...I will poke around and see what I can find. Thanks!!

brett

Re: Batteries and magnets

Quotehmm. a strong enough magnet might make the electrons come out sideways... heh.

The fact that electrons come out sideways from magnetic fields is the basis of all Hall-effect devices.  I'm not kidding :shock:  !!!  By "sideways", I mean that in an electro-magnetic field, electrons get "pushed" to one side of a conductor, so a voltage difference appears from one side of the conductor to the other.  What could this do to your battery?  Depending on the strength of the battery, one side of the battery will probably work a bit harder than the other.  It would be interesting to see if turning the battery around when it's almost dead extends its life a little.

Also, if you make any circuits with coils or inductors (e.g. a wah, reverb tank), I'd keep the magnet at a reasonable distance.
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Ansil

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)A magnet isn't going to hurt any battery, nohow.

this is funny,, what do you think that an EMP would do to a batterie.   i beg to differ  a small magnet maybe not but if it was large enough it would drain it.