STOMP SWITCH PROBLEM??

Started by brian wenz, November 16, 2003, 11:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
   I built a Guild Axis fuzz [2 tranny] and it worked fine without the Carling stomp switch.  After I wired the circuit up to the switch all sorts of squeeling [oscillation] problems started .  When the fuzz was at max the circuit cuts out [no sound] when I roll the guitar volume control back to 3 or 4.  I'm guessing there's too much gain in the circuit........but why would the stomp switch make it worse??    I seem to remember some si Fuzz Face circuits oscillating at high fuzz settings but I don't think the switch affected this.
Thanks-
Brian.

brian wenz

Hello--
  I also tried a few different switches......just to make sure!
B.

Hal

I'd bet it wasn't actually the switch, but something that happened while installing the switch.  Trace out your circuit, and make sure something's not crossing...when you said you tried more switches, do you mean that others worked or didnt ?

petemoore

It could be the switch. Best way I know of to trouble shoot that for sure is try a different switch.
 I've had switches go bad [intermittent or open] and diagnosed this by shorting across these lugs of the sw: ckt input to input jack lugs, and ckt output to output jack lugs, using wires with little alligator clips on either end. If these wires are clipped on, and the problem still there, it can hardly be the switch, and I would look elsewhere for the problem.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

petemoore

Make sure you're not in bypass mode when bypassing the switch in this manner [with wires clipped on to sw lugs] for best test results.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

brian wenz

Hello Hello-
 I tried 3 different switches  [all of 'em good ones] with the same results.
Everytime I wire the effect direct to the input and output jacks it works fine.  I even tried using shielded cable from the switch to the jacks and it made no difference.
Thanks for the reply!
B.

bwanasonic

Did you use the *input to ground* bypass wiring? If not, you could expect squealing, etc.

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/v2/diagrams/switch_lo_dpdt_input_grd.gif

Hope that's it
Kerry M

brian wenz

Hello-
  Yeah, I tried both bypass wiring methods.....no results.
Thanks!
B.

zachary vex

test the circuit once more by hard-wiring the input to the input jack and the output to the output jack.  if it works fine that way, use the input grounding technique to wire your switch, but run the output wires on one side of the enclosure and the input wires on the other side, and don't let them cross or get near each other except at the switch.  if you still have problems, replace the input wire to the board with shielded wire and ground one end, and if necessary, the input jack wire as well.

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
     Well, I've now officially tried all the lead dressing options, all the shielding options, all the switch options,  etc., etc.  [I even replaced the Q2 tranny to be sure there was no funny stuff with it....]  
The only way I get a good sound is by hard-wiring to the input and output jacks!  Gonna go get some sleep and try again tomorrow.......maybe more ideas will come then.
Thanks Zach and everybody so far!
Brian.