Slow Gear 2SK30A replacement?

Started by sfr, November 17, 2003, 03:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfr

Does anyone know  of a replacement for the 2SK30A tranny in the Slow Gear project at General Guitar Gadgets?  Mouser comes up with the NTE459, which is a "non-stocked" item and costs over two bucks.  I was going to go with ordering the BC264 from the build notes text for now, but this build is different than anything I've done, and I'm uncertain as to how this might effect things, and regardles, Mouser turns up with a NTE312 instead of that, so now I'm talking a replacement for a subsitution. . .

I sort of jumped into this project, rather than sitting down and getting an understanding of how it works, like I usually do, and I guess I really should do that- I've been meaning to, honest!

Anyway, yeah, sorry to come crying for help w/o doing my homework (again!) but you guys are all so helpfull! . . . .
sent from my orbital space station.

Zero the hero

Try BC264 of BF245.
I'm not at home now, so I cannot check if it will work properly. As soon as I'll be at home I'll try it.
I substituted the 2SK30A with a BC264 in the Funny Cat from geofex with no noticeable differences. I believe that this mod will work in slow gear too.

Peter Snowberg

Try a search here for 2SK30A. There are some good notes in the archives that list a coulpe of 2N series options and some more background info.

-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

sfr

thanks guys.  

Yeah, I was in the middle of mucking through the archives when I posted my cry for help -  at this point, I guess I'm going with sockets, and I'll swap a few different things in there, the archives proved helpful.  I still can't seem to wrap my head around this schematic at all, so I'm not quite certain what this tranny is exactly doing.  

After pawing through the archives and searching Google, it seems it's a fairly common part, though - I just can't seem where to find it; anyone have any clues?
sent from my orbital space station.

Maneco

Zero the hero

Actually BC264 will work without mods. Just pay attention that BC264 and 2SK30A have different pinouts!
If you use BC264 I suggest you to inrease P2 ("attack" pot) value, since the attack is not as delayed as using the original JFET. Try 47k for example, and adjust by ear.

Mark Hammer

I would think that just about any FET that is used for effect switching or phasers ought to work with some tweaking of the trimpot.  That list would include:
2SK30A
2N5457/5458
MPF102
BF245
2N3819
...and many others.

Look around your schematics collection then look in your parts bin.