sneaky switchcraft hardware problems?

Started by nightingale, November 17, 2003, 03:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nightingale

hello everyone~
i have been having trouble with the washers/nuts on my 1/4 switchcraft open style jacks... it seems that every time my pedal case is taken out of the van, even if i have only traveled 30 miles or so, the hardware(nuts/washers)... are loose!

a couple of live situations i have lost signal, due to the loose jacks... does anyone else have this problem? i am looking in to getting some really thin lock washers or something of the like. i have been using the washer on the "outside" of the painted hammond enclosure. this seems to work better, but they still come loose very easily, too easily...

i know it's good practice to tighten all of your jacks prior to play, b
ut alot of times, mic placement, and checking levels, vocals, etc. tear my attention away from my board... i seriously have to tighten them every day!!!
if anyone has any suggesions, i am open
hope all is well,
~ryanS
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

Ansil

weird i have never had switch craft do this too me. i have had radioshack stuff do this all the time, but never switchcraft.

are you relying on the chasis to ground you.. if so you may want to add a ground line from jack to jack to keep you from loosing signal in the middle of a show.

eliktronik

You can pick up some thread lock sealant at any hardware store. That should to the trick, especially combined w/ a lock washer.

D Wagner

Ryan,

Try using a pair of heavy duty wire cutters to put some raised nicks into the washers.  Tighten them down with a crescent wrench, and you should be good to go.  

The switchcraft jacks that I have been buying have the 'dents' in them already.  FWIW, I buy the cheapest switchcraft jacks...$0.85 for mono, $1.02 for stereo.  I got them from Mouser, I think.

Also, try new shock absorbers on the van.   :)

Derek

nightingale

thanks guys~
actually the "van" is a 1974 oldsmobile ambulance... i'll try to post some pic's... very ghostbustersish...lol
best,
~ryanS
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

Skreddy

Forgo the washers altogether; it works for me.  There's more friction with the nut tightened directly up to the box than if you use a washer in between.  It digs in there (slightly) when you tighten and doesn't come back off until you take it off.  I think it looks better too.  
Example:

Peter Snowberg

I second the loctite (or any other thread locker goo) suggestion, and the use of a ground wire too.

I went out and got a nut driver specificly for tightening jacks. They work better than any wrench and there is much less of a chance of damaging the finish too. :)

-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Mark Hammer

a) That's a sweet-looking little loop-select, Skred.  Nice work.

b) Some places make a point of keeping nuts, washers, and the things they go on, separate, and then they get added atthe last minute.  The place I buy my pots from in Toronto keeps nuts/washers separate from pots and I have to wait forever at the checkout while the guy methodically counts out how many nuts and washers I'm "entitled" to.  In some cases, I suppose it's for security reasons but I assume there are other rationales/causes as well.  These loose nuts may well be the wrong ones, so consider finding a better fitting nut before you drive yourself too....ummmm.......nuts. :roll: