OT: Check out this New Bose product!

Started by Steve C, November 18, 2003, 06:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aron

Yeah, sorry that's me bumming them out about stereo.

Steve C

Quote from: aronYeah, sorry that's me bumming them out about stereo.

So..... what are you saying?

aron

If it works, it's a great idea. Unfortunately at $2K per speaker, it's a little $$$ for your typical keyboard player.

Since most keyboards output stereo, that's $4,000 just to get started.

Then everyone else needs one....

Despite what they say, keyboards DO sound better in when played through stereo speakers vs. mono.

Peter Snowberg

Some of the engineers there say that BOSE = Better Off Somewhere Else.

They do have their hype down pat.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

downweverything

i could of swore their saying was "no highs, no lows, just bose" hehehe.

BillyJ

I agree stereo probably sounds better but that also depends on where you are.
With that in mind I think mono sounds better from all those places where you would get the whole stereo information thing.
Aren't almost if not all instruments (nature powered) mono?
I think there is some arguement to having the sound come from one source but I am not smart enough for that one.
I do think stereo sound better in that sweet spot.
I remeber reading that when stereo is working for ya it sounds as if the two speakers disapear and there is one unified thing going on.
Ugh. easier to do than explain. I should learn to keep my trap shut  :oops:

smoguzbenjamin

Stereo does sound like there's one thing going on. I remember my dad telling me that stereo is all about simulating depth in a piece of music. Or something like that...
I don't now about you, but I've never heard a stereo violin/guitar/cello you name it. You can of course introduce a slight timedelay between speaker L and speaker R. That'll sound stereo. For your guitar at least...

Stereo does sound better on a keyboard! I have a yamaha psr-500 in my room which I fiddle around on, and it's a stereo one, lucky me:D
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

Peter Snowberg

Here's another way to think about it...

Speakers move in essentially a single dimension. The body of an instrument resonates in three dimensions. Instead of the instrument being a stereo (2 channel) source, it is essentially composed of an infinite number of source channels.

I will say that Bose's use of a small speaker in a resonating tube produces some impressive results. Take the speaker out of the tube and it sounds like another cheap junk radio. Who'd of thunk it?

-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

aron

The thing I am talking about is when stereo effects are used. Ping pong delays, placing instruments in the stereo field and most importantly phase effects.

All these things are lost when summing to mono, also phase problems occur when summing.

That's all I meant.

I don't like to debate whether it's important for the audience to hear stereo, I only care that it's important to me to hear my patches (yes, that I programmed) in stereo so I play better.

Ansil

i havfe to agree with you aron.   when you hear what you want to hear you do play better, feel more in the groove even if the audience doesn't get it.

Nasse

I have not worked with big PA systems, but remember having read that in Europe they have big stereo PA s (and some shy panning for some instruments) and in the US they are always mono...dont know whats the truth. If you use few Vox AC30´s as stage monitors you can have very good stage sound, claimed one soundman for me...

Ear monitoring has been VERY popular around here few years...

I was once listening and watching a nice rock band in small club. The acustics in the place was horrible, the club was in a small cellar and L-shaped with hard tile walls, and the stage was in just worst place you could imagine. The band played too loud, but I did not bother because liked it. A local famous musician came at me (he did not like the band and have had ten beers too much). He sayed to me: "Nasse, do you know what is a British mixdown?" What, I said I did not know. "Just take a long straight ruler, place it behind the sliders and push them up"
  • SUPPORTER

Samuel

It's a noble idea, but I think it's generally agreed that placing the house speakers in front of the business end of a microphone is not a winner idea.

It seems to me that any severe type of panning is a bad idea for live mixing (unless the audience is standing in a thin column stretching back from the stage), but I know alot of engineers use / need it to give the mix a little space, and keep the guitarists from trodding on each other's sound, etc etc. But hey there's no reason you can't buy two of those things for each performer right? :roll: