I hope yahoo Dies!!!!, what other free mail server is good?

Started by Ansil, October 30, 2003, 05:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ansil

yahoo decided it would clean out my briefcase for me eventhough i didn't go over my mail quota, it deleted some of my drawings  i am so pissed!!  is there any good free mail server out there that gives you decent email.???

Marcos - Munky

Hotmail is good, but have only 2mb of space. And if Yahoo dies, mine and your site will die too!!!

OT: did you sent the parts in a white pack? I saw one in the "M" letter of the local mail office, but they told me that if the pack is mine they will send it to my house, and it's still in the mail office. Here we have a bad mail service.

R.G.

I probably should keep my mouth shut, but lemme be sure I understand this correctly - you're complaining because they messed up a little bit on something they're giving you *free*?

Izzat right?
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

gurutzeta

I would not say free if you consider how much they get with the banners and selling users lists

R.G.

QuoteI would not say free if you consider how much they get with the banners and selling users lists

Ah. I see. Yahoo gets money from somewhere, so the user services are not free. Right?

The buyers of the banner space and user lists pay money to Yahoo, and Yahoo gives service to users. The users don't write checks to Yahoo, do they? So while Yahoo and the buyers have a business going on, the users are not paying for what they get, at least not in terms of money. OK, the users are being given a free ride at the buyer's expense.

Once again, let me see if I have this straight: we have a complaint that something that someone else is paying for is messed up a bit? Right?

What does that tell us about things that are "free"?

Decades ago, there was a popular acronym that went TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. In general it's still true - the people paying the freight get to call the route and schedule for deliveries.

Any time you depend on anyone to give you something "free" you are almost always actually paying for it in some way. In the case of Yahoo, it's the nagging from the banners and the prostitution of having your name and information sold.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Good reply RG! the difference between this board (thans Aron!!) and yahoo is lie shit & shinola (not in that order!).
And notice how superior the average post is here, where peopleactually have to register & there is a human being to keep a (benign) eye on it?

Ansil

well all i can say, RG is thanks for making me feel worse than i already do about the situation. see some of us can't afford to have a dedicated site, or even an email provider.   if  i could find work, around this god forsaken town i would even put my web back up,  but i can't so i depended on a free site that i have used for six years.

The Tone God

Boy all that critism sure helped out a member of the community that is interested in contributing. I hope no one minds if I hijack the thread for a momment and actually offer some possible solutions.

I'm alittle confussed as to what are you looking for. Are you looking for just a email provider or a web host ? I find that the Yahoo mail is ok with not much spam. Besides hotmail there is a whole host of other free email providers. Excite comes to mind.

If your looking for web hosts there are a number of options. Here are a couple that are free but don't offer email. You can continue to use the yahoo mail or whatever email you want in that case.

http://www.topcities.com/
http://members.freewebs.com/

I haven't used the Yahoo briefcase but it seems problem-matic anyways. It maybe easier to throw things up on your geocites space that you get with Yahoo.

I hope this helps.

Andrew

Rob Strand

I don't have a problem with yahoo email accounts, I quite like them.  If you don't use them for a while I think it gets cleared out but you can at least reactivate the account name.

One suggestion,  if you want to store stuff get a free site as opposed to using your email account to hold the information - free sites may dissappear on a day by day basis but the stuff never permanently disappears (well, not unless the service closes down).
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

Peter Snowberg

A suggestion from the department of redundancy department about an option you could use to solve this problem:

Make 2 copies on different free servers.

this message has been a communication from the...... :?

(would you guess they're a government agency?)
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

smoguzbenjamin

My site is hosted at //www.spaceports.com and my domain's at //www.dot.tk. But you've got to have an FTP-client to upload the files. and there's 2 banners or something. But anyway I use hotmail for my web-based e-mail. I've never been dissapointed with hotmail.

I haven't looked at my site for a while. There's nothing about electronics on it anyway, I've only just started taking an interest in it.
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

gurutzeta

Quote from: R.G.The users don't write checks to Yahoo, do they? So while Yahoo and the buyers have a business going on, the users are not paying for what they get, at least not in terms of money. OK, the users are being given a free ride at the buyer's expense.

My personal information and my clicks in banners are worth money and I am giving it for free to yahoo when I sign up for one of their accounts, if they don't give a good service I think I have the right to complain and if they don't do anything to fix the problem I have the right to sell my soul to another devil. Internet Service Providers have realized this and, even though they give a free service, they give an OK support.

I would never complain about services as the one you provide, free information, no banners (Thanks a lot BTW!!!), but if they get something from me (information for example), that is money, I do not care who writes the checks.

Quote from: R.G.]Decades ago, there was a popular acronym that went TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. In general it's still true - the people paying the freight get to call the route and schedule for deliveries.

Any time you depend on anyone to give you something "free" you are almost always actually paying for it in some way. In the case of Yahoo, it's the nagging from the banners and the prostitution of having your name and information sold.

Agree...

Andy

doesn't your isp offer mail service?  I MAY (very seriousely considering it) offer mail accounts on my mail server on my domain I just bought.
Andy

Ansil

lucky for me, a kind hearted soul offered me mail at his facility.
and for this i am eternaly grateful(if i could learn how to spell i would be even more grateful..lol) anyway, yahoo has a 30meg storage called my briefcase, which you can click on from inside the email and store your attachments. and they deleted all my files and the folder,  i had some great pics in there of friends i have met, that are long gone, and also some artist concept drawings of my pedals, that i was fooling around with on the side..  like the Shroom box.  and the Prune Pedal.  Frankensteins tooth brush.  Raining Carrot pedal.  Ghetto Dog,  Pink Spider,  Purple SnowFlakes, Black Pear, and the Blue Pineapple.   i took some time drawing all of these out and i liked the way they were coming along and had a friend of mine do one of them on a pedal.(blue pineapple) two ce-2b's in one box heavily modded and an expression pedal out, for a rotovibe typesound.  oh well i guess i will have to redraw all of it.

Ansil

lucky for me, a kind hearted soul offered me mail at his facility.
and for this i am eternaly grateful(if i could learn how to spell i would be even more grateful..lol) anyway, yahoo has a 30meg storage called my briefcase, which you can click on from inside the email and store your attachments. and they deleted all my files and the folder,  i had some great pics in there of friends i have met, that are long gone, and also some artist concept drawings of my pedals, that i was fooling around with on the side..  like the Shroom box.  and the Prune Pedal.  Frankensteins tooth brush.  Raining Carrot pedal.  Ghetto Dog,  Pink Spider,  Purple SnowFlakes, Black Pear, and the Blue Pineapple.   i took some time drawing all of these out and i liked the way they were coming along and had a friend of mine do one of them on a pedal.(blue pineapple) two ce-2b's in one box heavily modded and an expression pedal out, for a rotovibe typesound.  oh well i guess i will have to redraw all of it.