The "boring" chorus sound...

Started by drew, November 19, 2003, 11:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelson

Was i the only person who thought it was a joke?

Drool......
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

Mark Hammer

Quote from: nelsonWas i the only person who thought it was a joke?

Maybe, maybe not, but I'm certain it will make some funny noises. :wink:

FWIW, before Ton became a regular contributor here, someone had posted trade show pics of early tube prototypes of what became the Tube Zipper as well as few other things.  Based on my traditional assumptions about E-H (you have to admit that flat boxes with 1-3 knobs accounted for a huge chunk of their product line, historically...with a few noteworthy exceptions), my first reaction was "Yeah, right.  Like that's ever gonna happen."  Boy was my face red when I found out that these WERE E-H products in the works and that they were simply the thin edge of an all-out tube wedge for that company.

I don't know what's gotten into Mike Matthews lately, but I like it. :D

RickL

QuoteRickL wrote:
I'm pretty sure the TC10 has two BBD's. The 9 series version does for sure.

I rgeret to have to tell you you're wrong in both cases.

Back ontopic in this incredible thread.

I stand corrected. I misread the clock driver for a second BBD on my TC-9. This is a good thing though. It means that any modulation type effect should be easily mod-able with an extra set of speed and depth controls to give more animation to the sound. I wonder how many extra sets you could add before you wouldn't hear any difference in sound by adjusting any one control?

puretube

Quote from: Mark HammerYou've been a busy little boy, haven't you?  :wink:  :lol:

well, err, I`ve been relaxing/swimming @ a quiet little (hot) beach in Turkey over the past 2 weeks...  :D ;

actually I was busy with this circuit while this thread started,
but was delayed due to the SARS epidemy in china...

been a busy little boy for the 2nd half of last, and the 1st half of this year,
though...  :wink:  :)

Mark Hammer

You don't have to answer this if you don't want to...or can't...but I'm curious about how a product like this comes into being.  As I mentioned a few notes up, the Flanger Hoax does not seem to be out of keeping with some of the newer products in the E-H line like the Holiest Grail, P.O.G., Bi-Filter, new issue 16-second Delay, etc., in terms of the flexibility  and opportunities for experimentation that it offers.  Plus they have had "busy boxes" in the past, like the Micro-Synths, the Graphic Fuzz, and the Rackmount Guitar Synth.  At the same time, E-H still markets a bunch of one-knobbers that make a guy like me think "We've all been coming up with all these mods for a decade now.  Why the hell don't they just poke a couple of holes in the chassis and adopt them already!!?  Why do they still insist on making simple-minded 1-knobbers?".

So, I'm curious.  Was this a case of you coming up with a design that had all this...stuff...and they went "Welll...costing and price point may be tricky, but I think we can pull it off"?  Or did you receive encouragement to incorporate more features?  Did you start off with more features and had to trim some off?  I'm just generally curious about how a company like E-H triangulates the fantasies of a designer, their heritage and reputation ("Brand" if you will), production and marketplace considerations.  I'm also curious about the role that personalities play in this.  The recent line of Behringer stompboxes discussed elsewhere here seems like a product line dreamt up by the marketing department, but the Flanger Hoax, and a number of other recent E-H products seem to have a more "organic" genesis behind them.  It is this organic interplay of organizational forces that intrigues me.  Sometimes, pedal-makers are bigger corporations than we can possibly imagine, and sometimes they are much smaller than we had thought.  Sometimes it's guys in suitas around a big table that decide about products, and sometimes it's two people in a smoky office with their feet on the desk and a messy white-board off to the side.

I don't want industry secrets or anything.  It's more of an 11 year-old's "Daddy, where did I come from?" question.

puretube

:)  I can`t speak for E-H, since I`m an independant designer...

Best would be to ask them directly...

But: E-H has always been different than the mass,
and don`t forget that Mr.Matthews started off in the sixties,
when "it" started to happen.
He was one of the very first to get into sounds,
and still has that feeling/nose for what musicians like...

Some of my stuff seems to meet his taste;

sometimes "as is" - sometimes after reducing the parts count...

[Mark: hopefully one fine day we`ll open up a bottle of red wine together,
and have an evening`s talk (or two), under four ears (spouse allowed)]
:wink:

puretube

is it a HOAX?
find out yourself...