slide pot question: eh micro synth

Started by ian87, November 20, 2003, 12:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ian87

hi, all.

here's my conundrum: i'm rehabbing an EH Micro Synth with 5 messed-up slide pots. the pots work, but the shafts are sheared off and i'd like to replace them. i can get replacements from EH, but they have a $75 minimum order, and 5 pots @ $4 doesn't get me close.

so i'm looking at mouser, and they have Alpha 100k slide pots that look right: either 312-9000-100 (audio) or 312-9100-100 (linear).

do those sound right to you? and which taper do i want??

thanks in advance for your help!

-ian

petemoore

I've thought that one could tell the diff between audio and linear by turning the knob with the DMM clipped to it ...you should be able to notice a much greater difference in the amount of R change at one end of the shafts rotation on an audio [linear, the numbers increase more evenly  on the DMM through the range as you slowly, evenly turn the shaft]]...watch the meter start whippin fast at one end and slowly at the other as the shaft is rotated...or slid in this case.
 EH might be able to help you with just that question of pot tapers on there...pretty sure I did this once...pins 1&2 to one DMM lead, pin3 of the pot to the other DMM lead, or accord the DMM hookup to whatever arrangement they're using in your pedal.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

ian87

cool, thanks for the info, pete!

-ian

ian87

anyone else? i'm itchin' to place my Mouser order....   :D

drew

Do you have a model number, manufacturer, etc. for the slide pots? You may be able to get a part number off it and if you can't find a direct replacement in mouser or digikey, search on the net and find an equivalent.

drew
toothpastefordinner.com

Bill Bergman

I'm tring to remember, I think they are linear. I bought some when I built mine but ended up using regular rotational pots.

ian87

hey drew -- i tried mouser, but they didn't cross. it's a 25-yr-old CTS part, so i'm really not surprised. :)

thanks, bill! i'm gonna take a gamble and try linear.

-ian

Bill Bergman

Yep, they are linear. I just found the schematic. Good luck, it's a cool pedal!!!

ian87

awesome, thanks for confirming that, Bill! can't wait to restore it to its former glory. :)

bwanasonic

Man I miss my EH Micro Synth. If you'd like to hear a tune featuring extensive use of it:

http://home.earthlink.net/~bwanacentral/sonic/fingersym.mp3

I used it both as *lead* and *bass* synth sounds. Circa the late 80's. Oh, and pretty much all the tracks are backwards.

Kerry M