analog man rangemaster clone

Started by gdmart, November 22, 2003, 11:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gdmart

Ive just compared the smallbear rm clone to the rm clone that is made by analog man. hands down its a great one,it is much fatter sounding but it still has great treble.and then there is the fat switch wow.
  does any one have a schamatic for this one? its a keeper,edadmartin@cox.net

bwanasonic

Do you mean the Keeley Java Boost VS the Beano Boost? I wasn't  aware smallbear sold any complete pedals.  If you build a Rangemaster with good components and a switch for the input cap, you will have a very sweet and versatile pedal. How it will compare to either Analog Mike's or Keeley's...? I know my stuff is nowhere near their stuff in build quaility, but I have been pleasantly suprised how well my homebrew pedals compare soundwise in direct A/B with various *boutique* boxes ( never tried either the Beano or the Java tho).  With something as basic as the Rangemaster circuit, a good sounding tube amp is a vital part of the recipe.

Kerry M

gdmart

Im not slaming anyone dont get me wrong.Im interested only in finding a schematic for beano pedals.When I tested it thru my 72 orange and a strat it sounded so sweet.I looked into the beano and the board was layed out very similiar to the range master clone schmatic I used to build my rm but was indeed different,thats why Id like to see a schmatic.
    Ive learned a great deal from this forum,and ive got the itch to keep learning and making pedals.does anyone have a schematic for the beano pedal??

RDV

Quote from: gdmartIm not slaming anyone dont get me wrong.Im interested only in finding a schematic for beano pedals.When I tested it thru my 72 orange and a strat it sounded so sweet.I looked into the beano and the board was layed out very similiar to the range master clone schmatic I used to build my rm but was indeed different,thats why Id like to see a schmatic.
    Ive learned a great deal from this forum,and ive got the itch to keep learning and making pedals.does anyone have a schematic for the beano pedal??
Mike posted here at this forum that he just followed R.G.'s Rangemaster article for the biasing and what have you. I think he's really got some great sounding Ge's, he even uses NKT275's in some of them, and some really good sounding General Electric 2N508's in the others(good luck finding these!). If you've got one then it is easily tracible. However, I think you're gonna find it's just an RM with a cap switch.

Regards

RDV

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

If you have the pedal... Trace the schematic... and you'll have it. A RM is so simple you should have a trace in minutes.

There's information on how to trace a schematic at www.geofex.com , here: http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/howtrace.htm

Fp
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

gdmart

oh I wish I had the beano ,but alas it was a friends,and its not available for reverse engineering,  bummer.hopefully one of you all can help though

Ammscray

Just get yourself a Mullard OC44 and build it up stock and your pedal will sound BETTER than the beano...there's no magic to it once you have the right tranny...
"Scram kid, ya botha me!"

petemoore

Where would I get one?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Ammscray

Quote from: petemooreWhere would I get one?

Do a search on rangemaster threads, there was a guy who had them fairly cheap recently...I have some too, but I paid alot for mine so they're more $ than his were...let me know

bwanasonic

Quote from: AmmscrayJust get yourself a Mullard OC44 and build it up stock and your pedal will sound BETTER than the beano...there's no magic to it once you have the right tranny...

You're a mean man! :lol: That's like saying the secret to becoming a millionaire is first: "Get a Million Dollars" :lol: Unless you have some tips on where to find Mullard OC44s that is just cruel! Well, uh, do you have some tips on where to find Mullard OC44s, cuz you could like email me if you do. I won't tell anybody, honest!

Kerry M

Ammscray

From one Bostonian to another, trust me I'm being nice...I'm sure he would rather pay the other guy's price :)

My UK source is currently sucked dry thanks to a few miserly people who I won't mention that I wish I didn't tip off...oh well my mistake...I only have a limited supply of OC44's and OC71's that I use to make my "Derangemaster" clone which I can't make fast enough, so I need to source some more but it's gettin' really hard to find the real deal...

Craig V

I'm about to build a Rangemaster clone, and I saw the Beano boost has a full range feature?  What is this electronically?

Thanks.

bwanasonic

Quote from: Craig VI'm about to build a Rangemaster clone, and I saw the Beano boost has a full range feature?  What is this electronically?

Thanks.

It switches in a larger input cap value. Check out the article at Geofex on the Rangemaster. THE *stock* input cap is .005uf, but if you increase this value to .1uf or so, you get a *full range* boost. Not sure what value is actually used in the Beano.  Socket the input cap and find two values you like, then put a DPDT to switch between them.

Kerry M

Craig V

Thanks for the reply.

I just read the GEO article before I posted it.  The actual value isn't that important.  I was thinking about using a rotary switch for a whole mess of caps.  Anyone try this?

petemoore

Hurts to assimilate it,but it's good to know...I still would like to buy one er two...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

analogmike

HI,

Most of the above info is correct, our beano boost is pretty much a direct rangemaster clone, but the one you tried was probably built with negative ground. We did that so people would not be frying power adaptors. We also have done a lot of tweeking and fine tuning of the circuit to limit noise and improve tone. The 3 way range switch is indeed an input capacitor switch, just try a bunch of caps and find the ones you like.

We have had good luck with quite a few types of transistors, we have all the original types but they don't sound any better than properly chosen transistors of other types. Some models sound great, some sound bad, you need to test a bunch. I have some OC44 and OC71 that are the "real deal" but sound terrible. And other versions of these that sound fine. The part # does not guarantee good tone.

have fun!
DIY has unpleasant realities, such as that an operating soldering iron has two ends differing markedly in the degree of comfort with which they can be grasped. - J. Smith

mike  ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~   vintage guitar effects

http://www.analogman.com

Ammscray

Quote from: analogmikeHI,

Most of the above info is correct, our beano boost is pretty much a direct rangemaster clone, but the one you tried was probably built with negative ground. We did that so people would not be frying power adaptors. We also have done a lot of tweeking and fine tuning of the circuit to limit noise and improve tone. The 3 way range switch is indeed an input capacitor switch, just try a bunch of caps and find the ones you like.

We have had good luck with quite a few types of transistors, we have all the original types but they don't sound any better than properly chosen transistors of other types. Some models sound great, some sound bad, you need to test a bunch. I have some OC44 and OC71 that are the "real deal" but sound terrible. And other versions of these that sound fine. The part # does not guarantee good tone.

have fun!

"I have some OC44 and OC71 that are the "real deal" but sound terrible. And other versions of these that sound fine. The part # does not guarantee good tone"

The reason being that either they're blown or leaky, or not real Mullards...there are other European-made OC devices that look like Mullard but aren't, and they definitely don't sound as good...