Started by analogguru, November 23, 2003, 05:58:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idlefaction

Penguin Love Game!?  

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Darren
NZ

brett

Quoteprayer 1: a "finger" theremin like zeone in the beach boys 'good vibrations'

I'm not sure about this, but I believe that the "theremin" on good vibrations was actually a synthesiser that had the pitch controlled by a touch-sensitive strip of material.  I know for sure that back in the 1970s a number of electronic organs were avilable with this device built in.  The one my brother had was a strip of felt material that you pressed down to contact another strip underneath.  The further to the right you touched it, the higher the pitch (I suppose it had a resistance built into its length).  Simple idea with a groovy sound.  I'm sure that there'd be schematics on the web for a similar device.  Otherwise, somthing like the tone generator in the ring frobnicator (by John Hollis) would achieve the same thing.  Just replace the frequency control with a resistive strip of some sort.
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

http://www.oddmusic.com/gallery/om30500.html
may clarify (or not!) the theremin/tannerin/goodvibrations confusion.
So far as I can see, the 'tannerein' is a standard sine wave oscillator (probably a twin-T type using a double gang radio tuner type variable capacitor) wiht a mechanical linage to the playing knob/slider mechanism.
More robust, simple, and esier to play than a theremin.

Hal

the original digitech wammy...although finding a case for it would prob. be a pain in the butt...

Rory

The "Finger Theremin" is actually what I wanted:  The Ondes Martinot.  Do a google search for it,  really neat thing.

b_rogers

ok i changed my mind from the fulldrive 2 to the jaques "mercer box"
homegrown, family raised couch potatoes. temperament unsurpassed.
http://electricladystaffs.com/

Dan N

Quote from: brett
Quoteprayer 1: a "finger" theremin like zeone in the beach boys 'good vibrations'

I'm not sure about this, but I believe that the "theremin" on good vibrations was actually a synthesiser that had the pitch controlled by a touch-sensitive strip of material.  I know for sure that back in the 1970s a number of electronic organs were avilable with this device built in.  The one my brother had was a strip of felt material that you pressed down to contact another strip underneath.  The further to the right you touched it, the higher the pitch (I suppose it had a resistance built into its length).  Simple idea with a groovy sound.

Here is a similar device I recently pulled from a Thomas organ. 62 spring loaded rollers that push in to make a switch. Each corresponds to a key on the organ. '70's organs came well equipt!

http://users.rio.com/senorris/junk/arglss.jpg

Neutral

Boss BD-2 Blues Driver

..........Pleeeease  :)

Marek

Quote from: NeutralBoss BD-2 Blues Driver

..........Pleeeease  :)

and... what's wrong with the one on generalguitargadgets.com ?

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/v2/boss/BossBD-2.gif  :-)

Pozdrav,
MM

Neutral

Awsome :D Thanks!!

I never realised it was there. It's not listed under distortion projects?
Thanks again!

Mark Hammer

About the "Good Vibrations" theremin...

The original WAS indeed a theremin, but using it for live reproduction of the song proved impractical, particularly since singer Mike Love was saddled with the duties of providing that part of the song in concert (and he's no Clara Rockmore).

As it happened, sometime around 1971 my cousin and I snuck into the sound-check when the Beach Boys visited Ottawa.  We got to hear everyone going "Check, check" a lot, played some frisbee with "the Boys", and I got a peek at the stage setup.  Stage right (where Mike Love usually was) there was an odd little gizmo that from a distance looked like a pedal steel without any strings.  As I got closer, I could see it had a suspended ribbon running most of the length and white-out* markings at different points along its length.  The post hoc assumption many years later was that the device was a ribbon controller with the markings indicating where each of the requisite notes for the riff could be found.  Having seen a *good* theremin in action when Harry and Dana Bissell came up to Ottawa for a visit last year, I can attest that under even the best of circumstances, you'd need to dedicate hundreds and hundreds of hours of practice to be able to walk in and nail a tune on theremin the way you could nail it with your eyes closed on keyboard or guitar.  My apologies to Mike Love but he ain't in that league.

As it turned out, when the topic came up (yet again) years later on Ampage, I received a note from Tom Polk, the designer of the original confirming what I had seen and remembered.  You can find out more about Tom here: http://www.tompolk.com/Tannerin/Tannerin.html

* The in-joke, of course, is that this was hommage to the Monkees.  Monkees guitarist/songwriter Michael Nesmith's mother had invented White-Out - seriously - which I supposed permitted him the fiscal latitude to pursue the arts.

hair force one

Thanks everybody for your interest.
I've already seen the tannerin pages, but it's a commercial one and therefore has got no shematic posts in it.
I like the 'Finger-nnerin' much more than the regular Theremin, cause it don't come with the goofy arm-shaking dance and wayless melodramatic than its russian cousin.
Could be cool to have its shiny 'whistling ribbon' along a guitar fretboard!

ben moore

i'd like to see the fulltone bass drive layout myself...
i have one and love it. would like to know whats going on in there

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: hair force oneI've already seen the tannerin pages, but it's a commercial one and therefore has got no shematic posts in it.
I like the 'Finger-nnerin' much more than the regular Theremin, cause it don't come with the goofy arm-shaking dance and wayless melodramatic than its russian cousin.
Could be cool to have its shiny 'whistling ribbon' along a guitar fretboard!
Well yes. But there might be some confusion with the 'finger strip' on some synths & organs, and the tannerin withthe pointer and wire, and also the type where your finger goes in a loop.
The synth/organ one is based on a kind of a pot, the finger pressure picks off more or less volts.
The 'built overnight' tannein must be a sine oscillator, either using a variable pot or a tuning capacitor (which would be much smoother, and was used in a lot of commercial signal osc at that time).
And the one with the loop around the finger, is an old radio tuning dial, a mechanical link to a tuning cap or pot.
The meral rod/wire under one tannerin version, is i think merely an on/off switch so you can start suddenly withut haveing to glide up to a particular pitch.
As for the oscillator schematics, the two main contenders are 1. a pair of hetrodyning high freq oscillators (like in a theremin) or a twin tee configuration like the early hewlett packard audio oscillators.

Neutral

Because my previous wish was delivered well before Christmas  :D I'll try my luck a second time...

I wish for a DOD Buzz Box schematic

Thank's Saint Nick

hair force one

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)
As for the oscillator schematics, the two main contenders are 1. a pair of hetrodyning high freq oscillators (like in a theremin) or a twin tee configuration like the early hewlett packard audio oscillators.
well, ahem, thanks but this is too technical 4 me, i'm not very much an electronician...

SnooP_Wiggles

I'd like to see a schematic for a Boss Vb-2. Its way to expensive to buy.

Marcos - Munky

I have the VB-2 schematic. But it uses BBDs!!!

Joep

The "Sobbat DB-1 Drive Breaker"

It's a Japanes distortion pedal used by the Edge.

A picture can be found here

This will give a good friend of mine a nice christmas.

Bye,

Joep

Bucksears

Oooooooo.........an Ibanez SM-9 Super Metal. The one with five knobs? That'd be nice. Oh, and a PCB layout w/parts, too, please.