Build Report: The Small Clone Rules!!!

Started by Davefx, November 24, 2003, 05:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davefx

Just got the SC done today, and it worked right from the git go..  I hate to toot my horn but if you knew how many of my boxes that I've built  that NEVER worked the first time!  But anyway, where has this chorus been all of my life!!?? :)  I HIGHLY recommend building this pedal!  Kudos to Francisco Pena for a wonderful project and board. I added the depth pot but I used a 10k instead of a 100k, it's a lot more focused.

Real happy with this one.  :)
Dave

ExpAnonColin

It's the only chorus I can stand playing through.

Here's mine (modded for tremolo, effects boost, and depth):

I'm still working on it, it'll probably go in a bigger enclosure and get TBed.

-Colin[/img]

Ansil

that tremelo mod you do collin is sweet!!!

rustylee

I really want to build one of these.  It's my next effect project.  I'm glad to hear the positive results.  Francisco does some really nice work.  I currently use the Danelectro Cool Cat, and I get lots of compliments on my Chrorus sound (and the retro look of the casing).  But a change, or another chorus option, will be nice.

I'm still working through the Rebote2 Delay.  Francisco has been very helpful with adjusting it to take out some of the tone changes that occur when the effect is engaged.

I've got an effects-switching project to finish as well.  All this and the Small Clone will come together nicely.

-Rusty

Davefx

That's really cool, Colin!!  What is the tremolo mod? Is that your invention with it?  I wish I knew how to post a pic of the box I made for mine on here.  I transplanted a SC board into my box I made for the Zombie chorus I made,  it sure is a beautiful box I made for a crap chorus!  Oh well, the "Zombie" sounds good now!!!  Could you tell me how to post my pic, I would appreciate it!!!
Dave

gtrmac

I'm glad to hear that it sounds good because I'm planning to built one as soon as I finish a couple of other boxes. I got PCBs from Francisco too.

Has anyone added the stereo ouputs? Is this a worthwhile addition?

petemoore

Makes even a ------ chorus sound way cooler the times I've tried it.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

gtrmac

Regarding the stereo ouputs I wish that Francisco had included the circuit on the PCB. I'm considering trying a layout with them included.

saxtim

For those that have done the depth mod - did you use a linear or a audio 100k pot?

tim

moosapotamus

Davefx - To post a pic, you need to upload it to a web server and then put a link to it in the message body of your post. To make the pic show up in your post, put the link between the img tags .

The small clone rocks! Here's one of mine... well, actually it's not mine any more. 8)

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

Bill_F

Built two of them now. Definitely the chorus for people who hate chorus. Great pedal!

Marcos - Munky

I didn't built it YET, but will finish it today!!! I finished the board, just need to put the ICs, trimpot, pots and jacks. I didn't finished it yet because I'm dumb and forgot to buy the CD4047 and bought a wrong trimpot.

Ed G.

I'm almost done populating my board. I got one of those 4-position switches to switch out the clock caps, but I'm not sure how to wire it up. When I get home I'll break out the continuity meter and try to figure it out, but does anyone have any idea?

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

This is too cool!

I'm trying very hard to get all the boards back in stock, time has been way too tight lately. Although the small clone is not coming on the next batch, it should be available soon.

Fp
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

Muldoer

I finished my Small Clone a long while ago. It does rock. Very much so. I had it shelved because I could figure out what was wrong with it in the debugging process. After 2 avionics classes at school, I took it off the shelf, rechecked everything, resoldered a cap I had badly soldered in the first place and turned the trimpot and it came to life!

I did a few of Charlie's mods from his website too. I used a variable 265pF capacitator in parallel with a 10pF cap so that the clock never goes to zero. I get the "wavy gravy" and I can slow it down til it starts flanging. I did the tremolo mod too. I have to work on changing the 2.2uF cap to get a little better flanging sound out of it. I also put switches in so I can revert back to all the "stock" settings.

All in all, its one cool pedal.

petemoore

You might as well start another batch...
 For some reason I think you may be getting a few orders for this board in the near future...not from me...I need more dough before I start a SC.
 I love the SS phaze shifter, and Fransisco did one nice looking board for me...
 PCB's are just so nice, and make a project that could be very hard to perf and debug much more manageable...
 The SC PCBoard almost got ordered instead of the SS when I ordered it...it will in all probability be my next PCB purchase.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Ed G.

Finally finished my 'clone'
Used some film 1uf caps, and metal film resistors. Sounds killer! Can get that Pretenders 'Brass in Pocket' tone as well as the leslie sounds at high speed.
I replaced the .0027 cap with the .0039 cap, used polystyrene there and in most other places as well. It's chorus with clarity.
The pcb layout was excellent, very compact and tight.

HappyHour

I just finished wiring mine up but its just teasing me now.  when i get sound from it, its so quiet i have to turn up the amp as i high as anything, (as in the bypass is louder than the effected route).  the chorus isn't chorusing, but if i listen realy hard i can hear the LFO LFOing.  it feels like dodgy soldering, but after checking the joints and then the tracks they lead to with voltmeter, they seem ok.  the only other thing i can think of is transistor pinout, cos i couldn't get the ones specified.  knowing me i've wired all my electrolytics the wrong way.  kinda annoyed with it now, had to wait ages to get the MN3007 BBD, cos the closest place i could get one from was the Republic of Irelenad, and it took ages to come.  but whatever.  it WILL work, one of these days...

Alex

Ed G.

Check also that you have the right transistors in the right spots.
It's not clear from the schematics, but the 2n5087 goes in the first spot, the 5088 in the next two.

Quote from: HappyHourI just finished wiring mine up but its just teasing me now.  when i get sound from it, its so quiet i have to turn up the amp as i high as anything, (as in the bypass is louder than the effected route).  the chorus isn't chorusing, but if i listen realy hard i can hear the LFO LFOing.  it feels like dodgy soldering, but after checking the joints and then the tracks they lead to with voltmeter, they seem ok.  the only other thing i can think of is transistor pinout, cos i couldn't get the ones specified.  knowing me i've wired all my electrolytics the wrong way.  kinda annoyed with it now, had to wait ages to get the MN3007 BBD, cos the closest place i could get one from was the Republic of Irelenad, and it took ages to come.  but whatever.  it WILL work, one of these days...

Alex

Samuel

It's sneaky on the layout, but if you zoom waaaaaaaaay in, you can see the PNP or NPN symbol on each of the transistors.