Time to "toot my own horn" for a second..

Started by ExpAnonColin, November 24, 2003, 11:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExpAnonColin

Check out this breadboard I got.  It was about $10 shipped because the func. generator PCB had a burn on it (still should work though).  Costs 300, special order only from mouser or radio shack.  I'm so glad, breadboarding is really the only really fun part of making pedals to me... aside from playing the finished product.

http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/images/puplus/bigpuplusonproto.jpg

You'll notice I modified it so that the input and output are now 1/4" jacks instead of BNC jacks... and the toggle switch at the top which originally turned the power on and off basically acts as a 3PDT does in your standard pedal... and the LED even works with it :)

Definitely worth my while, I may or may not fix the func. generator depending on whether or not I buy a sperate nice one.

I recommend you guys get a big one like this-it's very useful.  All my various knobs can go in one board, and the components on the other...  Also, there's room inside for putting component boxes in the case that you want to take it somewhere (I frequently take it to school to use the nice O-scopes and func. generators, or my friend's house to let him tell me what he thinks of my design).

Just thought I'd brag...er, share this with you :)

-Colin

Oh, and that's the (in progress) parallel universe plus on there.

Peter Snowberg

Very Nice! :D

One word of caution....

The pins from those 16mm Alpha pots will RUIN the breadboard. They're just too big and they bend the contacts too far. You'll hate it down the road when you try to build something with small leads and you get intermittent contact.

I know from experience. :(

I would even mark those holes you've already used he pots in with a colored sharpie so they don't trip you up in the furure. I'm serious.

-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Gilles C

THe best way to use pots or swithes for example, or any part having big fat legs is to solder a piece of wire to each leg.

That way, you don't make your contacts loose.

Gilles

ExpAnonColin

Quote from: Peter SnowbergVery Nice! :D

One word of caution....

The pins from those 16mm Alpha pots will RUIN the breadboard. They're just too big and they bend the contacts too far. You'll hate it down the road when you try to build something with small leads and you get intermittent contact.

I know from experience. :(

I would even mark those holes you've already used he pots in with a colored sharpie so they don't trip you up in the furure. I'm serious.

-Peter

Yes, no worries, I wrecked a radioshack board first, so now I know which holes I'm going to use for pots, for most of the time.  I'm actually probably "switching pot brand" soon, whose leads should be quite small enough.  Thanks for the headsup!

-Colin