Ei Tubes...Any good?

Started by zonta, November 26, 2003, 07:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zonta

http://www.tube-shop.com/eiquaddetail.asp?prid=Ei-EL84EG-(quad)

how would you compare these to JJ's? Many people say that they sound as much good as Mullard's if not better. Could this be right?

thanks for the comments guys.  :wink:

Ammscray

It depends on which tubes you're talking about...the EL34's are ok, not much like Mullards IMO but the EL84's are killer for Voxes, the closest thing to Mullard you can get (not better)...the preamp (12AX7) tubes are ok too, but again, not the same thing as Mullards...

Best to use NOS tubes for old amps and newe ones for new amps...
"Scram kid, ya botha me!"

zonta

cool.

the amp is a peavey delta blues and the tubes are el84's.

so that means Ei is good for me eh?

dubs

12ax7 EI are very microphonic, around 60% of them have to be chucked b/c of this. Hence you need to buy from a reputable tube dealer that does testing on these tubes, you can;t just them from anywhere.
If you do get non microphonic ones, they sound fantastic. The EL84's ar a bit more reliable. I have EI El84 in my amp and are less bottom endy and midrangrey to the JJ, more brighter (not harsh thoufgh) and balanced tone. They sound fantastic clean or cranked!

Manolo Dudes

I don't think they can compare to a good set of Mullards. My amp (Marshall DSL-201) came stock with a couple of very good sounding Ei EL-84. Then I got a couple of NOS Miniwatt EL-84 made by Mullard and... boy! that's heaven! Much more highs and lows, more "deepness" and "openness"  :D

I still think that Ei EL-84 can top many others, including today's JJs (these are more powerful, though) even stand side-by-side with some NOS G.E., Halltron and Pinnacle I've tried recently, but they simply are in another division compared to a good pair of Mullards.

P.D. I'm expecting precisely *today* to get another couple of matched NOS Miniwatt - Mullard EL-84  8)   :P
a.k.a. "Calambres" in www.pisotones.com

zonta

QuoteI'm expecting precisely *today* to get another couple of matched NOS Miniwatt - Mullard EL-84  

dude, may i learn how much you will be paying for them?they are a bit pricey.

Manolo Dudes

Quote from: zonta
QuoteI'm expecting precisely *today* to get another couple of matched NOS Miniwatt - Mullard EL-84  

dude, may i learn how much you will be paying for them?they are a bit pricey.

Yep!... 60 Euros for both.

Edit: hehehe!... I got 'em  8)  :P

zonta

Manolo Dudes

Quote from: zonta:shock:
Do you think they're expensive?... I don't think so.

(Sorry fot the O.T.)

Ammscray

Quote from: Manolo Dudes
Quote from: zonta:shock:
Do you think they're expensive?... I don't think so.

(Sorry fot the O.T.)

Hey man can you let me know where I can get some of those?? I need like, alot of 'em! :)

Manolo Dudes

Nope, sorry!  :roll:

A close friend of mine made a *very* special price for me. Those were his cherised NOS matched couple reserved for "special moments" for his boutique VOX AC-15 clone. Now he's got a Twin Reverb and no longer need them... lucky me!  :wink:

Again, sorry for the O.T.

zonta

To put it an other way:

I have sovtek stock tubes in my deltablues. Will changing them to Ei, improve the sound of the amp more than a lot?

Ammscray

Quote from: zontaTo put it an other way:

I have sovtek stock tubes in my deltablues. Will changing them to Ei, improve the sound of the amp more than a lot?

MORE than alot...the EI's are louder and punchier, with more chime and jangle...but don't forget the preamp tubes too...especially the first gain stage and the phase inverter...

Manolo Dudes

Ditto... I've experienced it myself and the improvement is great.

Peter Snowberg

I only have experience with pre-war Ei tubes, but tonally their ECC81, ECC82, and ECC83 are my absolute favorites. :D

Too bad many of them (speaking only of old ones now) are microphonic and the heaters look like a flash bulb when the power is first applied. :(

I was quite upset when I head a NATO missile killed the factory, and quite relived when I saw they had new production. I am looking forward to getting some new ones.

The plates in the old ones were just HUGE in comparison to all the other current manufacture tubes at that point. Every time I plugged one into a circuit, you could tell there was more current flowing. Everything got stronger and nuances started leaping out of the signal. The only difference I can see physically with them is the spacing of the grid winding.

Does anybody have experience with the NEW standard versions versus the new gold pin series?

Thanks,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Dai H.

Quote from: Peter SnowbergI only have experience with pre-war Ei tubes, but tonally their ECC81, ECC82, and ECC83 are my absolute favorites. :D

Too bad many of them (speaking only of old ones now) are microphonic and the heaters look like a flash bulb when the power is first applied. :(

The flash on power up is normal and nothing to worry about. Other tubees do this too, like  Mullards. IME, Eis are mostly microphonic.

QuoteI was quite upset when I head a NATO missile killed the factory, and quite relived when I saw they had new production. I am looking forward to getting some new ones.

Supposedly, there was a disruption in production and a quality drop in the product, but the factory itself was not destroyed.

QuoteDoes anybody have experience with the NEW standard versions versus the new gold pin series?

Apparently, quality control still isn't that super even with the Elites. I like the sound of Eis, but I haven't found it worth buying them lately, esp. when lucking into NOS at favorable prices. I think even the older E.Euro ECC83/12AX7s from Tungsram, RFT, Tesla seem better than the current production stuff. If Ei could fix the problems, then they would have a great product, but I'm not holding my breath.