Testing inducters / wah diodes?/ wah replcmnt?

Started by jimbob, November 29, 2003, 01:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbob

i have a gcb95 on a board i made from radio shack that wont work..after reading about the Hot potatoe problm i think i must have a short there cause my batter is getting hot as well..I assumed it was the inductor --dont know how to test it--it has 4 lugs--i cant even figure out which 2 go where..hmmm..anyway. I get no sound at all..I switch it off and i can get sound from amp..I switch it on ..no sound--hot battery..I think there must be a short..I also noticed my old gcb95 board had a diode..in jd's site the wah replacmnt  doesnt have one---am i overlooking something there?
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

R.G.

If your battery is getting hot, you have a direct power-to-ground short. You'll have to fix that before you can do anything else with it. You will get no sound, and can find no useful debugging information until you can get that fixed.

You test inductors by two ways (1) use an ohmmeter to make sure they're not open (2) if they're not open, use some kind of circuit to make it act like an inductor. The second test is complicated, so if it's not open, use it.

The diode doesn't have anything to do with the problem you're seeing now. Gotta get the power problem fixed first.

As I noted in the Guitar Effects Debugging Page at GEO, it's almost NEVER a bad component when a new effect won't work. Can be, but almost never is, at least with new components. Check your wiring and soldering.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

swt

Have that problem with those type of wahs. usually it's the power jack shorting, replace it, and try it again. It can also be the diode that it's shorted, don't know how this can happen, but i've fix lots with that  problem too. Usually the diode goes open but sometimes it shorts. I'll be more towards the power jack problem. Hope this help.