succesful build report/double d

Started by donald stringer, November 29, 2003, 10:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donald stringer

I have been curious about this chip since I have been reading about it and it certainly does live up to its reputation as does this circuit. I perf boarded the double d and kept all specs within 1 pf and it fired up the first time,[thanks ansil for the chip]. The only changes made were the j-201 and that was a matter of necessity. I used an radio shack 3819 for the first one and an mpf 102 for the second one. The pin out for the 3819 was such that you have to bend the legs around for the gate and source but the mpf-102 dropped right in. The second change was a precautionary measure and that was an 10 k trim on the  drain of the first fet just in case I had to adjust the bias. I have to say something here ,on every circuit that called for an j-201 I have subbed in an mpf 102 or 3819 and while I am certain there is a difference as I have not yet used one[j-201] the circuit nonetheless worked fine provided the bias is worked out and I think somebody posted on that issue here on the forum in the past. ...Now the sound is awesome, I couldnt believe the difference in between the two sides of this circuit you can go from a fat jangle on my strat to  to full blown crunchy tube break up with my sg copy[the emgs really make this circuit cook. I have ample room on this board so I may just go the rest of the way and biuld a moss pre-amp on one side and an marshall tone stack on the other...... You know if you think about it if you could add in an 386 after the tone stack[no dist. just use it as an  make louder post amp, you would have an sort of pseudo analoge amp modeling pedal or even an amplifier. Not that it needs any more vol. this pedal is LOUD . I am a happy camper and as soon as I get my case done I will post some pictures, good job runoff groove. 8)
troublerat

Ansil

glad the chip helped out.  i am going to build one i just hate to do it on perf..

B Tremblay

Great!  Thank you for sharing your build report!
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

Gary

Rock on!  Thanks for the kind words.