REALLY messed up effects idea....

Started by Hal, November 30, 2003, 03:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hal

I wonder what it would sound like it a signal is run through a resitor that randomly changes values....more specificly, I was thinking some sort of container half filled with an electrolyte (salt water), that was spun by some sort of motor...

Unless I'm just way tired and getting sick, like I think I am...wouldn't this do something really weird ?

ExpAnonColin

Well, the resistor one would basically just make your guitar volume drop at random amounts...

Not sure I understand the ohter one.

-Colin

Hal

well, I think randomly allowing an electrolite to slosh around wout pretty much just cause random resistance, as there is some formula that I am forgetting right now that relates resistance to distance and cross sectional width :-D

smoguzbenjamin

Basically you have a random volume control. Try writing a program with visual basic or something that does this (random volume) with the line input of your soundcard, and see how it sounds... Then you save yourself a large amount of salt water and a big mess.   :twisted:

Yes, I know everyone generally prefers analog, but this is good enough for a test... I guess  :)
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

Peter Snowberg

Digital is great for simulations. :) (often... ;))

To make something like that, I would suggest using the electrolyte to vary a single transistor that is controlling the LED in an LED/LDR cell. That gives you some level of detachment from the resistance of the electrolyte to your audio.

With the sensitivity of the transistor, the salts already present in tap water should be more than enough to swing the full scale. The trick I would think is to bias the transistor with a low resistance so that you have different response between a little water, some water, a lot a water, and total contact with your probes.

It sounds like a very worthy experiment. :D

You could attach a little container to your shoe so that when at rest, the water had full contact with the electrodes for max volume. As you shake your foot you start to get the random tremolo. I like the performance art aspect to it. :D

Suggestion: try stainless steel or pencil lead graphite for elctrodes. You may have to heat the pencil lead over a flame and then scrape it a little to get rid of the plastic binder. I've done that in water alarms with great success.

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Ansil

hmm similar in theory to waterverb.

www.geocities.com/cemaynard1134/schematic.htm

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

This 'varislosh' has been done in fx at least twice, from memory. But, I would rather have an object on a spring that partly occluded a led/ldr combo! put it on the end of your guitar & by shaking the guitar you can make tremolo!! crazy or what!
If maing a solution/resistance unit,  remember that a DC current will erode one of the elements (i guess you could use gold or platinum though..)

Ansil

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)This 'varislosh' has been done in fx at least twice, from memory. But, I would rather have an object on a spring that partly occluded a led/ldr combo! put it on the end of your guitar & by shaking the guitar you can make tremolo!! crazy or what!
If maing a solution/resistance unit,  remember that a DC current will erode one of the elements (i guess you could use gold or platinum though..)

kewel idea man i like that

BillyJ

I think the EH soul kiss does something like this.
Cool idea BTW

smoguzbenjamin

I think I'll do a test run like I thought of... I wasn't really hot for the idea at first but I've changed my mind  :D

Now where the hell is that visual basic CD? :x
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

Hal

Quote from: Peter SnowbergDigital is great for simulations. :) (often... ;))

You could attach a little container to your shoe so that when at rest, the water had full contact with the electrodes for max volume. As you shake your foot you start to get the random tremolo. I like the performance art aspect to it. :D

I actually really love that idea.

I dunno how visual basic would work for this, as the whole idea is that its not totally random....It swells and falls gradually, although at random intervals.  Actually, thinking about it more, a more viscus liquid than water would probably work better.

Peter Snowberg

Hal, have you ever heard of the Waterphone?

If you set one up with a transducer arrangement like a plate reverb you could have some really wild modulations :D!

I was introduced to them by my friend "Altered" Walter Funk who brought his to an outdoor music festival we were working. He went walking through the campground at about midnight, playing as he walked and it sounded like the were whales swimming through the campground! :D It was almost too cool for words. (I think he was playing it with an extra long bow too)

I'm trying to think of something more viscous than water that would still be conductive... maybe add some corn syrup to it? I believe Jack Orman is a real chemist, hopefully he runs across this thread. 8)

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Travis

you might want to check out Tel-Ray (Later Morley) oil-can devices.
http://geocities.com/tel_ray/
This board, though they can go inactive for long periods, is an excellent resource.  Just give them ample time to answer any questions.

I have a few of these delays, and they are incredibly cool.  It would be fairly easy to mod it to your desires (only wet signal passed)

If you are urban enough you may be able to find these in pawnshops, otherwise eBay is your best bet.  If you search for mispellings, mislabelings, etc, you can get them VERY cheaply.  Manufacturing the anodized disc, on the other hand, has proved to be a major PITA.