tl072 replacement?

Started by tambek, December 01, 2003, 10:15:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tambek

i need a replacement for tl072... quick.. cause the store is going to be closed in 40 mins.. :P

i read somewhere that the lf353 is a substitute?

Peter Snowberg

The LF353 is also a JFET dual with the same pinout. It should be close enough for Rock n' Roll. :)

38 Minutes left.... good luck!

-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

tambek

wooho... got the TL072, so i actually don't need the LF353 hehe :)

Paul Marossy

Even though you got one of those, in the future you should consider an OP275, NE5534 and an LF353. All sound good and are pretty low noise.

ethniccheese

So, why do you prefer these to the TL072?  I've never tried any of these others and am curious.  I have always substituted the TL072 whenever possible because of the low noise.

Gus

FWIW  I tend to like the NS LF353s in effects and amps over the TL072s.  The parts are cheap.  So try different #s and companys  sometime there is no better this a taste thing.  Remember the same part number needs to meet a min spec to be called that #.  Different companys can sound different because the chip might not be made from the same mask.

With distortion opamps can sound different they were not designed for what we use them for.  As others and myself have posted here in the past alot has to do with the recovery and current drive of the output stage.

FWIW I find a TS circuit with the tone and distortion at max seems to be a good way to test opamps for your TASTE.   Change out the opamp they are cheap try the different brands of 4558s, 5332's,lf412s,lf353s,etc.................

Gus

Bucksears

I gotta tell ya: I just took out a 4558 out of the socket in my TS-9 and replaced it with a TI TL072 and I...........AM.............LOVING............IT!! I have a TI RC4558 that I may try a little later, but this one has some good tone. I hate that I have to sell it (unemployed), but at least now I know what to do to get that sound. With the gain at 2 or 3 o'clock, it was getting some VERY good Santana-ish leads.

ethniccheese

Yes!  I built both of my tube screamers with the 4558 and when I replaced them with the tl072, I loved it!!!  The tone sounded so much better and with less noise too.

ExpAnonColin

I like 4558's because I have a bunch of old distortion PCBs that people sent me and they all have them on there... if I ever need a dual op amp, I just pull one out :)

They certainly don't live up to the hype in terms of rareness, however the hype is dying down.

-Colin

Bucksears

I just can't wait to finish my Sonic Distortion SD-9 so I can try them out in that!!

ethniccheese

Hey, by the way, would you mind posting or PM'ing me some voltage readings on the opamp and the trannies of your Sonic Distortion when you get through.  My friend just built one and everything checks out, but the distortion is really quiet and not very wet.  I've replaced every componet, checked (with ohm meter) every trace for solder bridges, and triple checked values everywhere.  I can't figure this thing out.  The trannies and opamp voltages seem to check out initially, but it would be nice to have readings from a working model!

Bucksears

I'll give it a whirl. I've got the PCB done and some parts on it; it just needs to be finished. Probably another week or so; I really want to build the '70 Fuzz and a Rat for my cousin first, but I'll work out the Sonic somehow.
Buck