The "must" pedals for tube amps...Tell me a couple

Started by zonta, December 01, 2003, 03:30:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zonta

Tube Screamer is one. The treble booster that Brian May uses is an other one.

What about others?Stuff that boosts the tube mimic of your tube amp. Tell me.

ErikMiller

I'd say that a clean boost, like an LPB, Mini, or MOSFet can do a lot for a guitar going into a tube amp.

I like my wah, too, but that's probably not a "must."

Rodgre

My AC30 loves both the Menatone Top Boost in a Can and the Crowther Hot Cake.

It also loves the Z-Vex Super Hard On and various Rangemasters....

Roger

V!N

It depends on what amp you have. A tube screamer doesn't sound that good IMHO with a Marshall. Browse a little to find out about the DOD Yngwie Malmsteen overdrive. Great for speedy solo's with single coils through Marshalls (what a surprise, eh ?)

Doug H

My Firefly has a "marshally" sound. It loves a fuzz face, npn boost, fulltone '70, tonebender mark II (any fuzz face derivative), minibooster, rangemaster, Highway 89, tyco octavia, shakka braddah 3 variant, bronto boost, whew... can I quit now?

Doug

brett

My tube amp (MusicMan as used by E. Clapton and BB King!) goes well with a CMOS4049 tube-sound fuzz, and the TS-9 as mild distortion pedals, and the Odie and Blackfire as higher gain pedals.  I also like the Orange Squeezer, the bazz fuss, and various forms of the fuzz face.
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

jrc4558

Ansil

my ts9 clone done with a lm386 is great for a clean boost.  it has enough clean drive to really spank the front end of the amp

bwanasonic

Quote from: zontaStuff that boosts the tube mimic of your tube amp. Tell me.

Not sure what this means exactly, your tube amp should sound like a tube amp! The AMZ MosFet boost is great for bringing out the best in your guitar amp combo, but it really depends on what amp you are talking about. A Triple Rectifier and a Fender Twin are both tube amps.  For my purposes, the "basics" of Mosfet Boost, Orange Squeezer, Ge Fuzz Face and Rangemaster work well with my amp and style of music.  Another tube amp essential: GOOD TUBES!  If your tube amp doesn't sound enough like a tube amp, that may be where you want to start.

Kerry M

Doug H