Ibanez Standard Fuzz schematic posted

Started by analogguru, December 01, 2003, 08:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

analogguru

For Dan N (and others):

I´ve uploaded the Ibanez Standard Fuzz schematic :

http://members.chello.at/anubics/html/Main.htm

also added some pictures to the Ibanez-page.

Dan, if you have pictures of your unit (from which I´ve never heard before) i will have a look what i can do ...

enjoy it, analogguru

petemoore

Q3, Q4 especially looks to be wired uniquely.
 This site's looking pretty darn good, nice selection of schematics I'm seeing for the first time there...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Rodgre

I have a Marlboro Wailer in the same box and it's basically a Superfuzz. I'll compare schematics and see if the Ibanez is as well...

Roger

Dan N

Thanks analogguru! You were right about the problems with my schematic.

Great to finally have a schem for the Ibanez Standard Fuzz!

I think the Royal Fuzz Wah is the only superfuzz-like circuit left to be traced. It has both the tone switch, and a tone pot.

analogguru

Known twins of the Standard Fuzz:

Bruno       Fuzz Machine
Lord         Fuzz Machine
Marlboro   Wailer
Northland  Fuzz Machine
Teisco      FuzzMachine

Every of these units were produced by MICA, Ibanez did not even have a factory this time, only trading company.  They use all the same parts.
Only slider knobs and label are different.

Dan N:
Please send me your e-mail adress to analogguru@hotmail.com
I dont know if the forums e-mail function is working properly.
Do you have pictures of the Royal Fuzz/Wah ? never heard before of this unit.

analogguru

Dan N

Hi,

I'll send you an email.

These are photos from ebay sales, and one came from Songbird Music. The fuzz wahs have a tone control knob.

The bottom ones are of a "normal" fuzz. I don't recognize the pcb as being from a standard fuzz or a superfuzz style.

http://members.fortunecity.com/uzzfay/royalplus.html

Dan

Rodgre

I have a Royal Dual Sound Fuzz Wah, and I'll tell you it's one of the coolest Superfuzz pedals I've heard.

That wah is SICK because it's post-fuzz. I use it on my Bass VI for gutteral low-end tracks. There is a schematic printed in it I believe. I'll check it when I get to the studio today.

Roger

Doug H

Quote from: petemooreQ3, Q4 especially looks to be wired uniquely.
 This site's looking pretty darn good, nice selection of schematics I'm seeing for the first time there...

Interesting... A phase inverter driving a differential pair. Don't normally see this in fuzz circuits. Wonder how it sounds?

Doug

analogguru

The "Royal" stuff looks for me at the firt moment like a Shin-ei production, will have a closer look.

Univox Superfuzz, Shin-ei products (and several "brands"), and the Mica produced Bruno, Ibanez, Lord, Marlboro, Northland and Teisco (who knows another one ?) use this circuit, also the Ace-Tone FM-2.

The Mica (Ibanez) "improvement" is the FET-Input stage.

The only question is, what was more early: the Fender Blender or the Univox Superfuzz, last was in April 1968. (I was 9 this time  :shock: )

Look at the Fender Blender, and you will find also similarities.

analogguru

Jay Doyle

QuoteInteresting... A phase inverter driving a differential pair. Don't normally see this in fuzz circuits. Wonder how it sounds?

Doug

Also the differential pair has C7 which will keep the emitters at a set voltage, this was used in another pedal (the diff. dist. I think).

I think that the pedal would sound pretty good without the diodes actually.

Might be worth a try...

analogguru

The "differential pair" will act as a mixer, with something like an octave up effect, like Tycobrahe Octavia and the transistor clones from armstrong etc.

analoggguru