op amp Big Muff

Started by Rodgre, December 02, 2003, 10:01:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodgre

Has anyone successfully built the Op-Amp Big Muff?

I have a real later version Big Muff (op-amp version) that I love the sound of. I would love to clone it in a smaller box and I've tried unsucessfully to do it from the schematic on the web. I feel that my real one has a couple of mods to it as well (there are a couple of caps that don't appear to be original)

It sounds different from any other Big Muff, and has more of a "distortion" sound. Very rock!

Roger

petemoore

But I tried...I think there may be some errors in the OA Big Muff schematic...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

analogguru

Make some Hi-Q pictures from the pcb-tracks and the components, and you will get a correct schematic.

analogguru

bettycat

I also have an OpAmp Muff and if you like, I can send you some photos of it´s circuit so you can a/b both PCB´s. Just send me your email address if you are interested.

analogguru

My e-mail adress:

analogguru@hotmail.com

analogguru

ErikMiller

Ah, I remember Rodgre and I had a discussion about this a few months back. I've tried making one from both of the schematics that are on the www (one is actually for a Little Big Muff) and no go.

This circuit is my favorite diode clipper and I'd love to be able to make one.

tomtom

I use to have a "broken" Little Big Muff with Opamps. After a quick search, I found that it's a Big Muff board with preset values (Gain full, Tone full up or full down).
It sounds good and I'll receive tomorrow some pots to wire as Gain and Tone pots (a mini Big Muff !!  :lol: ). I'll post something after a quick test.

The board seems to fit the schem, but with a 0.15µ input cap (6 diodes for clipping).
Maybe a 0.068µ worksbetter...

More to come (tell me if you need a pix or a schem).

Tom

JRobinson

If anyone wants to send me High res pics of the Trace and Component sides, I'll try to tackle it.

Tobias Karlsson

Maybe this schematic could help;

http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/lbm.gif

Best Regards

Tobias Karlsson in Sweden
Tobias Karlsson

ErikMiller

I tried the Little Big Muff schematic at that url and still couldn't get the thing to work. I'm waiting for a new traceout before I try again.

Winged Eel Fingerling

Hi Folk's,
I built a version of the op-amp Big Muff using Tobias's diagram and it worked perferctly but I would use true bypass though as the bypassed mode in the diagram is a little overdriven, sounds nice but clean it ain't.
Also the clipping stage can get a little mushy so play around with different diodes, LEDs are great for cut but the best tone I got from the unit was to remove all the diodes ! sounds massive and it gets hella loud  :twisted:
Volume! Clarity! Bass! we must have bass!

analogguru

I didn´t receive any pictures from Rodgre or bettycat yet....hmmm....

analogguru

Rodgre

Sorry I haven't sent any photos.

Been a busy guy this week.  I'm snowed in at home, so I'm not going to be able to grab my pedal tonight (it's at the studio)

Roger

analogguru

another week, and still no pictures.

have a nice weekend, analogguru

Rodgre

Sorry man. I've been working 14 hour days in the studio. I don't even have time to EAT, let alone open up the Big Muff and take pictures and post them. I'm lucky that I've had three minutes here and there to check out my favorite web forums! :)

Roger

analogguru

Good luck with your recordings !.

analogguru