enclosure drilling tips -- please help!

Started by ian87, December 02, 2003, 01:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam Shame

Harbor Freight is the best!  They have tons of pretty good stuff, at reasonable prices.  I am hoping Santa brings me a drill press this year. :D
Q: What do you get when you cross an owl with a bungee cord?

A: My Ass

Ansil

lowes had drill presses on sale for 49.95  and the jiggerella at tone gods site is the way to go.

coxter

What size bit for the 3PDT switch? Cos the hole for it is really big...

boogietube

Pedals Built- Morley ABC Box, Fultone A/B Box, DIY Stompboxes True Bypass box, GGG Drop in Wah, AMZ Mosfet Boost, ROG Flipster, ROG Tonemender, Tonepad Big Muff Pi.
On the bench:  Rebote 2.5,  Dr Boogie, TS808

Barcode80

boogietube

Pedals Built- Morley ABC Box, Fultone A/B Box, DIY Stompboxes True Bypass box, GGG Drop in Wah, AMZ Mosfet Boost, ROG Flipster, ROG Tonemender, Tonepad Big Muff Pi.
On the bench:  Rebote 2.5,  Dr Boogie, TS808

choklitlove

i use a dremel for aluminum enclosures all the time.  the secret to drilling anything accurately is to start small and move up one size at a time.  i start with the 5 bits in the dremel, then move on to the hand drill.  the same effect is easily acheived with the stepped bits, or unibits.  i'm waiting for mine...

anyway, just sticking up for the dremel a little.
my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.

MikeH

You can use a 1/2" for a stompswitch too, 15/32 bits usually don't come in standard sets.  I've had good luck with drilling.  The key is to get a set of metal bits, and don't use them for anything else, because it will dull them.  A decent set shouldn't cost you more that 15 bucks.  I use a Black and Decker set.  Also, get a can of "Tap Magic" or some other lubricating oil for drilling metal.  Should be about 2 bucks.  This will keep your bits sharp and cutting well.  Don't forget to make set divots with a nail or punch.  We have a cheap Harbor Freight drill press her at work (30 dollar jobby) and it SUCKS.  Totally sucks.  I prefer to drill them with my cordless drill.  It works great if you have one with a torque setting, because you can set the torque to skip if the bit gets hung up, so it doesn't rip your arm off, or wrench the bit in half.  Or send the enclosure flying out of the clamp into your groin.  My worst fear.

"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

coxter

Quote from: Barcode80 on November 08, 2006, 10:37:39 PM
too big. the size is 15/32

sorry, I'm not quite used to the measurements.
at my hardware shop bits are measured in millimeters.
You got a link where i can find the bit?

aron

I just use the unibit like the FAQ says. It's worked for me for a lot of things. I've never tried my dremel for any of this.

MikeH

Quote from: coxter on November 10, 2006, 11:52:06 AM
Quote from: Barcode80 on November 08, 2006, 10:37:39 PM
too big. the size is 15/32

sorry, I'm not quite used to the measurements.
at my hardware shop bits are measured in millimeters.
You got a link where i can find the bit?

15/32 inch = 11.9mm
1/2 inch = 12.7mm
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

Melanhead

Quote from: aron on November 10, 2006, 11:54:00 AM
I just use the unibit like the FAQ says. It's worked for me for a lot of things. I've never tried my dremel for any of this.

I second that! ... Drill press and a unibit ... takes a few minutes to do an enclosure ...

Ronsonic

A very handy tool is a simple T - handled hand reamer. Get perfect sized holes without having to own every bit there is. Cuts into a diecast aluminum box like birthday cake. (Mmmm, cake) Got those satan-sized 8mm Alpha pots, this will give you a perfect hole without changing out your fractional christmas tree bit. Just make the hole the next smaller size and ream to fit. Takes about three twists. This will also work for people in the metric parts of the world who have to deal with our inch measured stuff.

Ron
http://ronbalesfx.blogspot.com
My Blog of FX, Gear and Amp Services and DIY Info

R.G.

Harbor Freight regularly puts their table top drill press on sale for $39. It is now.
See
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44506

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

lacto

Also USE CUTTING OIL. So many people don't use any kind of cutting oil, lightweight oil, tapping fluid, something to keep the drill bits from burning up while drilling metal, even a soft metal like aluminum. That's what it was made for and meant to be used everytime you drill metal of any kind. A few bucks worth of oil, that will last for ages, will save you much more in dull or fried drill bits...

Pushtone

Quote from: R.G. on November 15, 2006, 12:29:28 PM
Harbor Freight regularly puts their table top drill press on sale for $39. It is now.
See
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44506

That one looks EXACTLY like the Job Mate brand I got at Canadian Tire here in Canada. Probably made in the same factory in China.
Mine does aluminum boxes well but drilling steel would wear it out fast.
The chuck on mine has no problem holding the tiny #64 PCB drill bits so it can do boxes and PCBs!

Note that in this price range you get an 8 inch swing which is enough for 95 percent of box drilling. You may end up having to hold the box with your hands and drive it up into the bit. I've had to do that occasionally. Or spend more for a 10" drill press.

It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

Barcode80

or place a 2 - 3" block of wood underneath

Pushtone

Quote from: Barcode80 on November 15, 2006, 07:16:21 PM
or place a 2 - 3" block of wood underneath

Yeah, bad advise. I'm just a lazy guitarist :icon_redface:
When the last two steps of the unibit won't go because
the press has run out of travel I just lift the box up by hand.

A block would be better.  :icon_smile:
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: Pushtone on November 15, 2006, 11:36:00 PM
When the last two steps of the unibit won't go because
the press has run out of travel I just lift the box up by hand.

Better start practicing one-handed guitar playing...