need advice with shaka 5 again :P

Started by tambek, December 03, 2003, 11:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tambek

I was building the shaka braddah 5, and ran into several problems with the deice not working, but when i double checked every connection i found two misconnected wires. So i wired them up the correct way. When i tried if it works now, then at first i couldn't har anything, then i thought i heard some pops and clicks, and turned the volume to the max. What i thought was a poping an clicking sound, was actually the distorted signal! So, actually the effect is working, when i play some chords, i can hesar them, but they are SO quiet. I had to turn my amp vol to the max so i could hear anything at all. I also turned the drive, vol and tone pots to the max, i f i turn one of them down, i cant hear a thing.. So, if you have any idea how i could fix this...?  Could this be a possible uncorrect wiring with
the pots?

I checked that all the caps have a resistance of 100-800k besides C2 and C3. So I guess there's something short. But i can't figure out where.  BTW, i also tested the resistance of R13 and R14 (tone an vol pot) and they were 86 and 18 with thge vol and pot turned at max, when the vol was at max and tone at min, it was 501-51... Am I right if i say that the circuit might lose signal to the ground somewhere?

http://www.muzique.com/schem/shaka5.gif

Thanks in advice!

PS: I have substituted the J201 witha a BF245A and the IRF520 MOSFET with a IRF510 MOS-N-FET. And i believe the replacement parts have the same pinouts? Just in case this should say something...

tambek

forgat to mention that i tested thge resistance of caps with the effect ON, connected to the battery. When i tested with effect OFF, all caps showed perpetual resistance. Also, all the resistors were ok, when i checked them...

aron

See my debugging page and build an audio probe.

Use that to probe the output of the op amp and any subsequent points in the circuit. (After op amp, after diodes, before Mini-booster, after Mini-Booster, after tone control.

Did you do voltage readings on the pins of the Mini-Booster?

Zero the hero

J201 and BF245 has not the same pin out.
J201 is

-----
I   .   I
I  .  .  I
----------
 G S D

and BF245 is

-----
I   .   I
I  .  .  I
----------
 D S G

(Both bottom view... do they look like transistors?).

Reverse both BF245 and you should be ok.

tambek

amz-fx

Measure the dc voltages from each of the jfet connections to ground and post the readings, then we should be able to tell what's wrong.

regards, Jack

tambek

yup. it's broken again. a few times i had to switch the TL072 cause it was burnt, one time i had to resolder the power in lead, and it worked perfectly fine. Now it's quiet again. No sound at all when i switch the pedal on. Bypass is OK, also i checked - the problem is not in the switch, i tested, connected those 2 switch leads together (bypassed the FX), worked fine. I checked - I can hear the signal until it enters the IC. No problem - i get a new one. BUT, i still won't work. I can hear the signal before the IC, but not after the IC, i changed the IC (TL072) a couple of times, so I think it can't be that those 2 new ones that I tried are also burnt already. (or just broken). Also - the IC is getting enough power (8,3V) to be exact. EVerything that needs power is getting it. So what could be the problem here... I would say it HAS TO BE the IC, but i tried 2 other ones too, or it HAS TO BE that the circuit is not getting power  but it is...

I'm outta me wisdom :P