Tantalum VS. Electrolytic

Started by Mike Nichting, December 05, 2003, 11:08:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Nichting

Hey all,
I just read in another post that Tantalum caps sound better than electrolytics. Is this true?? Can electrolytics be replaced by Tantalums in all cases when it comes to effects pedals??
I bought a bunch of Tantalum caps awhile back and never used them because I headr they weren't any good for anything.

For example say in a TS808 clone, could I replace the electrolytics with Tantalum?? would it affect the tone or how the effect works??  I brought up the dreaded 808 because it is a staple in effects building,no??  ;-)

Thanks all,
Mike N.
"It's not pollution thats hurting the earth, it's the impurities in the water and air that are doing it".
Quoted from a Vice President Al Gore speech

Doug H

Tantalums can replace electros. Electros are cheaper than tants and will eventually dry out. I have not heard any tonal differences, but Gus mentioned a tant cap on the TS that may be significant to the tone. I'm sure he'll chime in here sooner or later.

Doug

Gus

It seems to my ears that the .22uf used in the lowpass section of the TS has an effect on the sound.  I tend to like tants or films in that section.

Peter Snowberg

My 2 cents on the sounds are that tants have a "gritty" high end while electrolytics have a "dull" high end, but no "grit". That may be good and/or bad.

Dry Tantalums (the only common type today) have the serious advantage of long life. Electrolytics have the advantage of not dying when you reverse bias them a bit.

-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation