Small Stone Debugging...

Started by petemoore, December 06, 2003, 03:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore

I got a great looking board from Fransisco, and Using the layout from Runoff Groove.
 Im using the layout to Identify the positions and orientations of all the actives called out in the text I got from SB. [5088's 5087's and Ca3080].
 I getting fnny voltages on Q's
 Q1 E  1.41
      B 1.89
      C 5.01
 Q3 E5.59
      B 3.12
     C  5.60
 Q11 1.02
 All the IC's look kool [I dunno
  pins 1 and 8 of course all are at 0
 all the pins 7 are around 5.63v
 all the pins 5 are between .66v and .71
 only IC 5's pin 2 at .41v and pin 3 at .93 are 'odd' compared to the others which are all at around 2.03v [IC3's 2 and 3 pins are 2.72v and 2.69] None of these IC voltages look to me as immediately wacked as the Q voltage above.
 I socketted all electrolytics except the 47u. could a bad Electrocap cause funny pin V's on the transistors?
 I thought the build went quite well up till about frou hours after testing and debugging began...lol [enter extrordinary tales of woeful ckt testing color colde double readin etc etc checking grounds and Pos's.
 Any ideas from the more experienced SS building fanatics?
 Oh yeah I had three of each [2each of IC] extra for 'swapping around the circles'..just in case an active was faulty,
 Any SS help is really extrordinarily appreciated !!!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

petemoore

I'm trying to flip over the picture of the PCB layout.
 A picture of the bottom of the board would take the taxing mental function of 'reverse mirroring' the PCB to find if there are any solders on the copper side that shouldn't be there.  
 Once there's solder on the bottom it's hard to tell if there was a copper trace supposed to be under there...
 If someone could take a PIC of the bottom of the PCB, this would simplify debugging markedly...as it is I have to convert the mirror image mentally and my puter's [brain] running out of space !!!
 I do remem doing very acccurate soldering throughout the board population process...but I gotta keep checking something !!!
 I've done so far about six hours of otherwise effectiant checking and re checking...
  Anythng I should be checking on this???

petemoore

If the transistors were marked [Q2 Q3 etc] on the schematic this too would greatly enhance debugging efforts.
 As it is it's very difficult to tell what's where and use the audio probe to advantage...or am I missing something?

petemoore

Sure is fun playing through a Small Stone !!!
 Besides the 47k for 4k7 resistor mispik, it was thermal mass of where there are six compnents, leads, and a large rectangular copper  trace + the solder where I'd individually soldered each lead..after heating all the metals properly [all at once, with increased tip contact time at two points], I got continuity where I'd found the fauly.
 I used the old DMM, layout, and Board method methodicall testing each points connections were to be made [sometimes over/underboard] till I found my Glitch...
 Then I got the strap and the TB, and the Mosboost, and Small Stoned for an indeterminable long time !!!!

ethniccheese

I'm glad you figured it out.  This is one of the sweetest phasers I've heard in a long time.  The volume drop got to me at first, however I replaced two 4k7 resistors with 10k (can't remember which ones off of the top of my head) and voila! perfection.  Let me know if you want the resistors to change and I'll look them up.  

Still trying to figure out where to lift in the LFO to insert a pulsing LED!!

petemoore

THe Phaze is SWEET! And Strong, ...I'm lovin it!
 Had me diggin up bones all over it's real estate there for a good time...lol
 Start with a great board like that and keep everything clean [I find it's easy to add the right heat and solder now...dohh] and put the right parts in...can't miss...I kept saying "it HAS to work"...took me a few after I had it 'figured' [the initial test after fault find] cause I had the sweep set very slow...course soon as I turned THE pot ... AHhh THERE It IS....I forgot this thing has that Dweeezzsshhewww side of the switch .. !PSYcho when speeds turned up..I managed to trip the switch without upsetting the fragile dangler connections and revelled in joy IN the "Sweet" side.
 The 3PDT's on the counter, everything except the sw wirin'gs DONE!!!
 I have the 1 meg mounted adjacent to where the 100k [100k dohh!!!] pot for the Wah goes for the old Wah shell I installed it in.
 I hope soon to find a way to gear the 100k to the wah treadle. Or find a 1 meg pot that has a shaft like a wah pot...lol...meanwhile the SS is working perfect [10], well theres the volume thing, but I of course have workarounds already, and plenty of room left in the shell for a boost ckt...Ill try a few I have in that position first and interview them for the job before I permanently place it.
 Life is sweet when you hang out at the Forum !!!   Thanks Guys !!!