Holy fruits ! It's a PCB for the Highway 89 ! :o

Started by V!N, December 06, 2003, 08:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

V!N

Hi,

It seems like we've all been riding the Highway 89 the past few weeks, so I want to share something with you.

I'm not that advanced as a builder yet. So far, I have relied on perf- and PCB-layouts. But the soundclip of the Highway 89 blew me away and motivated me to realy READ the schematic and create a PCB from it. (Great fun to do by the way, although a little frustrating sometimes.)

I thought this project was going to be our little secret so we'd all respect the manufacturer of the amplifier this pedal is based on, but when I saw the perf-layout B Tremblay made: http://www.diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=16467 I figuered .. Hey, if I don't include the schematic or the BOM with it, the secret is kept ! :) For the schematic, read this thread first: http://www.diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=16013

This is my first attempt to anything like this, so please don't go to hard on me. The big white gap is where the BOM and the schematic is in my own personal PDF.
I left out the wiring to the jacks and switches so you can deceide for yourself what kind of wrapper you'd want to go with it.
http://users.alwaysaccess.nl/~eisen/Highway89VincentEisen.pdf As you can see, B Tremblay has been a great inspiration in my design ;)

Have fun !

V!N

Nasse

:shock: I love this forum!!! :shock:

Thanks Vince!

PS. I already took some my 70´s 80´s records and listened some great guitar tracks, to be ready and in the mood when I take the first smoke out of my 89, if I ever get it ready. I think there was more distortion and humbuckers in rhythm part than in solos. But hope this pedal delivers both.

Maybe I try that laser printer to inkjet photo paper method, bought a pack few months ago :oops:
  • SUPPORTER

Marcos - Munky

Great job. Just a tip, in the place of -9v, put ground. Without the schematic, some people can think that the H89 needs a bipolar supply.

V!N

I'm glad you like it ! :)

Done ! It's ground now, should be up in a few minutes. Thanks for pointing that out Marcos. But without the schematic or BOM, the layout shouldn't be of much use to anyone. ;)

That photo paper trick hasn't failed me yet Nasse, a great way to make PCB's but be sure to de-select 'save toner' or 'economy' in the printer-options. Less toner means less material on the copper to protect it and may result in some bad traces on the board.

V!N

Samuel

Very nice looking PCB. Love the US89 sign  :P
Minor comment: you might want to throw in a few extra pads on the ground trace to tie down jacks, the switch, etc. Never hurts to have a couple extra...

jimbob

Where ca i find the values for the components--The effect does sound great!!!  A must have!!
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

B Tremblay

Very nice design!  You've created a very nice layout, which is all the more impressive since it's your first.  A beautiful presentation as well.

A couple thoughts:

When I sent my perf layout to him for proofreading, Doug said that lug 1 of the Gain pot connects to +9v.

"Treble" is spelled incorrectly.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

Samuel

jimbob - look up the previous thread regarding this schematic...you need to email doug hammond for it...

V!N

Thank you for your kind reactions and help guys, you're making me feel proud :)

Another version is up with a few extra groundholes, better spelling, the wire from gain1 has moved and I added the typical J.D. Sleep 'General Guitar Gadgets'-wrapper which I will use when I build it.
http://users.alwaysaccess.nl/~eisen/Highway89VincentEisen.pdf

I'm not that sure on the wiring of the DC jack though, I fried quite a few fuses in my BOSS PSA figuering out by trial and error how to connect it. :oops:

V!N

RobB

I’ve been populating my Hwy89 on perfboard, using the layout at http://runoffgroove.com/highway89.html .  Now I’m ready to solder in the hook up wires.  I printed out the PCB layout by Vincent Eisen as a second reference.  On this PCB the collector of Q1 doesn’t have access to a DC supply.  It’s connected to C3 only.  

I assume I’ve downloaded an old version of this file.  
Is there an updated version of this somewhere that I can download?

Joep

You are right, the blue wire of the "gain"pot should be conneced to the Q1 collector, not to the point where it is connected now.

V!N, can you correct this?

RunOffGroove layout look ok here.

Good luck,

Joep

V!N

Why is it that one comes with a thing like this now ?

I have asked many people if it was correct in previous stages and it was right. I wonder what it was that these people were looking at ..

Sure I'll fix it, in time .. I'm still not rid of that flue and I don't feel like sitting at a computer longer than it takes to read and respond to my mail ..

RobB

There’s no rush as far as I’m concerned.  Take your time.

Hope you get better soon.

zonta

is the pcb all ok now? can we build it as the way it is?