pics of my newest pedal that i am building.

Started by Ansil, December 06, 2003, 09:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ansil

Gilles C

I am shopping for an airbrush these days.

I am tired of having plain looking boxes, so I like what you did with yours.

Gilles

Ansil

thanks. giles how ya been  i haven't seen ya in a while.  i had my email crash some time ago and have been retracing emails eversince.

you know thats fabric don't ya????

petemoore

Still drying you say?
 Did you put  a sealer on it?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Ansil

have you ever tried a cake decorating airbrush..  they work nicely.

Luke

Hi Ansil,
Fabric !?! How on earth do you do that! how do you get the fabric to stay on the box? Please tell; your new box looks amazing!
take care
Cheers,
Luke

Ansil

pretty easy actually.  you take some paper an make a template of the box you wish to cover..  its best to mark all the possible folds creases and such..

you unfold all this trim to fit and make your template onto posterboard? i think they call it.

the hardest thing to do is to decide how to do the corners of the box.

you either tuck and fold or you stich the ends.. which is what i usually do.

once you have your fabric cutout.  you do a dry fitting on the box to make sure your fabric lines up.  if it does then you do one of two things
you either use some super thin double sided tape and use it to hold down the fabric to the box.

or you put plain masking or gaffers tape on the back.  gaffers will make it a little more durable.  and slide ti on like a glove.

once it is on i usually use some epoxy on the inside of it where you leave thhe excess fabric in the contol cavity..  about 1/2"  to hold it in place.

its also good to place some weight on top of it to keep it from sliding.

the last step is up to you.  if you use a fuzzy type material for a textured finish then you don't want to proceed to this step.

dip the whole box in shlack...  or some fiberglass  anythign that will dry clear and make it hard as homemade sin..  i usully use fiberglass resin..  the kind that goes on clear and stays clear .  usually you are using fiber tape to make the resin stick but since you are using cloth on the box it will stick to the cloth and make a nice little hard casing.  

other stuff to use  

acrylic enamel
future floor finish.

once you get it all dried and all the knobs and stuff on it.. it isn't going anywhere.  i got a couple of more pedals to scan that hve fabric on them.

Ansil

Quote from: petemooreStill drying you say?
 Did you put  a sealer on it?

nope not yet.  the adhesive is still drying.

ExpAnonColin

Very interesting... I wonder how well it would work if you simply used some cotton attached via school glue covered on top with enamel.

Whadayathink?  That'd be a very cool pedal.  Especially if you didn't finish it, and made it fabricy.

-Colin

Ansil

hmmm creammy...  actully it sounds cool...  once you enamel it the process should alst a great long time...  i did one with double sided tape holding it on.. and jsut stitched up the edges and it is still on there. after a year

Samuel

Ansil that looks incredible! How do you print to the fabric?

Ansil

its already printed like that.. you can buy tons of crap at walmart

Jered

Why not just use 3M spray glue and make it permanent? Spray both surfaces, let it tack up for 1 minute and you will never be able to remove the joined pieces.
 I've used it numerous times for guit cabs, pedal cases when applying tolex. The stuff is infalable, quick, and easy to use, and you keep the look of your covering. No need for any candy coating of epoxy or resin.
 Jered

Ansil

thats true. it is easier.. and if you got a thick fabric like my Cowbox that i got. then it is fine.. but if you have a thin or a sheer fabric then it will discolor it on the front side as it will seep through. and  try as i might i have never had it come out even.. it sticks great but it doesn't match. some spots are lighter some are darker..  same principle as a wet towel.
of course if you acrylic right before it dries then it will be fine..

Jered

Ansil, if it is soaking through the fabric your putting to much on. Just mist both surfaces with a thin fabric like that. You shouldn't feel any moisture on the outside of the fabric.
 Jered

Ansil

true i understand that. but some of the stuff i use is extemely sheer.   we are talking about solid black that is so thin i can see through it..  i could tear it with my hands without even trying.   but i might try the 3m stuff as i had a generic one.