Where to buy parts.

Started by Brian Marshall, November 02, 2003, 01:45:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Marshall

I want to build a few of my stupid boxes that i have been posting clips of on here.  a few friends want them.  At least 4 of them will be freebees.  

I know all about Small Bear, and it's great for buying stuff to prototype.  you can order small quatities.  I just took a look at the pricing, and it they would cost me over $30 a pedal.  Not bad if i were only making one, or if i were selling them for profit.  

I checked mouser, but i find it really hard to sift through all the stuff they offer.

Here is my list of parts per stomp box.

1 DPDT switch
1 Box (not the tiny mxr boxes BB box would be good)
1 small perf board
1 mtg hardware for perf board.
1 1/4 inch mono jack (#11)
1 1/4 inch stereo jack (#12b)
1 battery clip
1 battery snap
1 linear 10k pot
1 linear 100k pot
1 audio 50k pot
3 knobs
1 2.2 eletrolytic cap
2 .022 film caps
1 .1 cap film cap
1 500pf cap
1 TL072, or TL071
2 1n914 diode

Any suggestions.  I dont mind ordering from a few different places.  I understand jacks, and switches can only be so cheap, but there's gotta be some cheaper enclosures out there.

bwanasonic

Watch shipping costs at Mouser. If you are buying small quantities, you can spend more on shipping than on parts. The way to lower costs is to *amortize* parts buying over several projects by stockpiling. After you establish a decent stockpile, about the only thing you need is a box, jacks and a switch for a new project. The "Wild Mouse" 125B enclosure from Smallbear is only $6.50 and can accommodate a lot of projects. It is taller than the MXR box so it allows you to easily mount the board over the pots.  For a photo:

http://home.earthlink.net/~bwanacentral/html/bwanasonic_fx.htm

Kerry M

donald stringer

Check out mouser, they may be able to beat some of the prices, but anyway you look at it you will have some money tied up in those boxes. Maybe your friends would understand if you explained to them the costs and maybe give up one lunch apiece to offset the cost. That would still be an excellent deal for them. What circuit were you going to build, 4 of the same kind ? As a gift item and still have an excellent box you could go with x type dpdt[smallbear] ....another idea maybe would be to build four amz mosboosters and skip the stompswitch all together[I didnt put one in mind and everyone needs a good booster but I suppose you already have circuits in mind , just shop wisely. Have a nice evening.
troublerat

Brian Marshall

it is a circuit of my own design.  just a dirt box.  can fit on small perf board.  Maybe even half of one.  here's the schematic.

Brian

Tim Escobedo

I'd stick with smallbear. If you do want to save some money, you might get lucky finding things like diodes and caps really cheap via surplus places. But this can be hit and miss. I don't like relying on surplus channels for things like pots and jacks.

ICs, jacks and resistors can be had very cheaply from Mouser, particularly in quantity. Stompswitches and enclosures, no. I've found shipping from Mouser  not too bad. But if you want enclosures and switches, it may just be best to order all from smallbear, as any savings from Mouser may be eaten up in shipping charges from two places.

S. Dunigan

Brian, Email me, I have some boxes cheap.. I'll even paint em for ya FREE Sean
www.lovepedal.com

Brian Marshall

Quote from: Tim EscobedoI'd stick with smallbear. If you do want to save some money, you might get lucky finding things like diodes and caps really cheap via surplus places. But this can be hit and miss. I don't like relying on surplus channels for things like pots and jacks.

ICs, jacks and resistors can be had very cheaply from Mouser, particularly in quantity. Stompswitches and enclosures, no. I've found shipping from Mouser  not too bad. But if you want enclosures and switches, it may just be best to order all from smallbear, as any savings from Mouser may be eaten up in shipping charges from two places.

I suppose you are right in a sense.  I cant really save much money on the caps, resistors, and diodes, because they are pretty cheap anyways.  I know cheap switches suck.  

I think i might end up using 4way receptical boxes.  you can get them at home depot cheap.  Plus I work in Elelcrical wholesale, and they guys i am givein these to do too, so it might seem like a cool joke, whei i am really being cheap.

gez

Quote from: S. DuniganI have some boxes cheap.. I'll even paint em for ya FREE Sean
www.lovepedal.com

How do you get that faux wood effect Sean?  It looks really classy!  Do you airbrush?
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

MRTelec

I'd stick with SmallBear.  Email Steve, perhaps he can cut you a deal.

ExpAnonColin

It's good to stock up from ebay, in my opinion.  That's what I tend to do, I've never gotten burned.  Just make sure you're buying Switchcraft phone jacks and not switchcrap!  AHAHAH OH GOD I'M SO FUNNY!  GOD I KILL MYSELF! HAHAHA

-Colin

Brian Marshall

I would love to stock up on those, but it's the boxes, and switches i'd really like to get a deal on.  That's half the cost right there.  

I work in elelcrical wholesale, I wonder if I might be able to find something that will cross over to electronics.

I know of a fabrication company that we use that might be able to make boxes, but they would be sheet metal, not molded boxes.  I'd probably have to have thousands made for it to be worth while though.

Maybe I'll look in to that.

bwanasonic

Quote from: Brian MarshallI would love to stock up on those, but it's the boxes, and switches i'd really like to get a deal on.  That's half the cost right there.  

I work in elelcrical wholesale, I wonder if I might be able to find something that will cross over to electronics.

A lot of people use those Raco junction boxes for enclosures. You can bondo fill the indentations. A bit too butt ugly for me, but cheap. I've seen some interesting results, if you don't mind the "look what I made in my basement" look. You can see a number of RACO box permutations at:

http://4mspedals.com/main.html

For switches, you tend to get what you pay for. If you plan on using an effect live or for studio recording, the extra few bucks for a top-of-the-line switch is worth it.

Kerry M

ExpAnonColin

Quote from: Brian MarshallI would love to stock up on those, but it's the boxes, and switches i'd really like to get a deal on.  That's half the cost right there.  

I know of a fabrication company that we use that might be able to make boxes, but they would be sheet metal, not molded boxes.  I'd probably have to have thousands made for it to be worth while though.

Maybe I'll look in to that.

Well, in terms of the boxes, head over to the trade/sale forums.  There's a bunch of guys there selling 1590BB's and Bs for 5$ a pop because of recent ebay auctions.

For switches, I tend to go with http://www.webervst.com/store/sword.htm . I haven't had one break on me, but I haven't used it too much.  I havent heard any horror stories about them... but I'd generally go with Steve for switches, because his prices are as good or better than mouser and the switches are just fine.

-Colin

MRTelec

Check out my post above about switches.