To the creator...

Started by rx5, December 15, 2003, 05:34:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rx5

To the creator of the "FUZZ FACE" and "TONE BENDER(buffered input fuzz face)",

CONGRATULATIONS for a fuzz well done... :) THIS IS THE ONE DISTORTION/FUZZ/OVERDRIVE Ive been looking for all of my life.... :) It has that GRIND and grit that is chunky yet sustains well.... I think its because of the GE trannies used??..... Ive really had a hard time finding good PNP trannies all over  town, BUT it has really paid of...... :)  the hardship and worries of finding low leakage and "right" gains, in exchange for a very good and nice sounding fuzzface and tonebender..... :) whewwww... took me about a month searching, buying, sourting out,etc....  

The PNP Ge fuzz face alone sounded REALLY GOOD....provided you bias it correctly, and I also changed caps...used lower values for more "brightness" to the tone....

Then I saw this Tonebender and thought thats basically a fuzzface with an input buffer... heck who cares, Ill give it a try..... anyways....

For the Tone bEnder, I was completey blown off when I cranked the "fuzz" control to full, it was like..WOW!!!!!!!!!! :) I would call it the KING of FUZZ/DIST/OVERDRIVE.....:)..same with the fuzz face, I had to bias it correctly...only part I didnt change from the original circuit was the 470 Ohms and 100K...this is because of Ge differences....Gain for Q1, Q2, Q3  was 59,104 and 120, respectively.....leakage was less than 300uA.....

this is an FX worth making a box, pianting it nice,labeling, etc,etc.... :)

only problem is I DONT HAVE A STOMP SWITCH....takes time to order... bummer...... :(

Once again, thank you (creator) and to this forum for this FUZZ/DIST/OVERDRIVE..whatever you call it...:) :wink:
IT ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

peace and a happy christmas to all.....  

p.s. : hope somebody gives me a carling switch as a present this christmas....hehehehe :lol:  :D  :D  :D  havent seen it (personally) or touched one... :?  :shock:

-bye

Ralph
BE d Bezt, Urz D Rezt... RoCk ON!!!

ErikMiller

Yeah, the FF circuit is up there with other classic simple magic designs.

The Telecaster, the Champ, the Fuzz Face.

Very much the "shortest route" school of design.

As for the Ge transistors being the secret to its success, well, I'm one of those silicon Fuzz Face people.

It definitely IS sensitive to transistor type, and only certain silicon transistors sound good in it (I can't stand the way that 2N3904's and 2N2222's sound in a FF), but my favorite FF's use silicon transistors.