Orange Sunshine Fuzz

Started by tuckercaton, December 15, 2003, 01:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tuckercaton

I got this schematic off this site.  I've put it all together, but i'm not getting distortion.  I'm getting the regular guitar tone.  What can I do to fix this?

I have the right values and the transistor pins are in the right spots.

Tucker Caton

smoguzbenjamin

Have you got a schematic we could see? Make sure you put everything in the right way aswell (electrolythic caps and diodes and that stuff), check your wiring to see if everything's hooked up OK.

Sounds interesting though... Let's see a schematic, that'd make it easier.
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

tuckercaton

RDV

smoguzbenjamin

I'm not sure, but my first guess is that it's more of a volume boost... Try putting clipping diodes in at the output, two diodes from singal to ground, one pointing one way, the second diode flipped around.

read rechardo X's "cook your own distortion" article for more info ;)

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/v2/richardo/distortion/index.html
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

aron

Does the level change when you kick in the circuit? If not, maybe it's a switch wiring problem?

Did you use a switch with this circuit?

If not, then perhaps it's a biasing problem or transistor pinout problem.

What kind of transistors? Please measure the voltages on the pins of the transistors and post them here.

nightingale

i've built it~
the schemmo is ok... i liked 2n2222's in it best... pretty nasty/cool fuzzface variant, i would like to see some of the other vintage electronics schemmo's...
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

tuckercaton

I haven't hooked up a switch yet.  I'm trying to get this thing working first.  I'm also new at this so I don't know too much about what exactly I'm doing.  Such as Biasing...I would have no clue as to where to start there.

al3151

I've built it,its a fuzz and it does fuzz.I tried it with silicon transistors but in the end used some Toshiba germaniums I salvaged.It's now housed in a DA Fuzz Face,I even used the FF pcb board.The only difference between mine and the schem is that I used a 47uF cap in place of the 10uF for more thicker tone.BTW I love it.

petemoore

But when I tryde everything and get nothing I whip out the DMM set it to 'beep' and start checking everything [and nothing...amking sure there are no connections that shouldn't be by dancing around with it to be sure it doesn't beep somewhere it shouldn't from a given starting point [where the first lead started]
 I type this all the time...lol
 You can check to see if any resistors [in ckt] measure greater than what should be in there...only
 Often times the DMM will read within tolerance [5% resistors?] whatever should be in that position...if it reads less it means little...the current could flow around the other way through the ckt....in ckt testing is limited...
 I checkin every connection and resistance on the board lookin for clues...with the schematic right there for reference
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

tuckercaton

I tried the diode thing, and it gives some distortion but its not all that fuzzy, its more crackle and pop kind of distortion.  (it is distorted but its odd sound, still not the FUZZ).

Rory

I too can vouch for the schem.  Have you tried the famous audio probe?  That 9 times out of 10 pinpoints the problem for me.  Maybe you've connected the input jacks together on accident?
Rory

tuckercaton

Nah the input jacks are fine.  I'm thinking its in biasing the transistors, which I don't know how to do.

tuckercaton

I'm still having trouble.  Why is this thing clean?  How can I fix it?

Samuel

Check out the FAQ and look up debugging, it's hard/impossible to tell from a distance what's wrong. Check the biasing on the transistors - all you need is a multimeter - it seems intimidating at first, but it's not too bad. And if the voltages on the transistors are off, post the numbers here and somebody will be able to help.

Also, definitely definitely build the audio probe. I didn't bother with it for a long time, and that was a huge mistake, cause it can save you endless frustration. The probe is just a 1/4" output jack, a capacitor and a little wire....Start where at the input of the circuit and just start moving through it. Many many times I have been confident of my solder work only to find a cold joint or a misplaced component because of that probe.

nightingale

hello~
stick with it someday "debugging" will be interesting to you... is the clean signal louder, or softer that "unity"...(the unaffected signal)... this might give us a clue... whats wrong...

if you take the trannys out what happens...(if you are using sockets)...
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

aron

Quote from: tuckercatonI'm still having trouble.  Why is this thing clean?  How can I fix it?

Possibly causes:

You have the transistors in backwards.
You forgot a trace.
Bad solder joint.
Wrong parts.

any number of the following:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/debug.html

As people have said, a multimeter is a must have item.