I'm really bad at painting.

Started by ExpAnonColin, December 15, 2003, 08:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExpAnonColin

There, I said it.  Now, does anyone have any recommendations for a VERY quick and easy way to lable boxes that looks "OK"?  I'm thinking permanent marker over the top of the enamel at the moment... Any suggestions that aren't to messy?

I just finished painting my first actually painted stompbox... The paintbrush was too big, so  I just smeared and clumped it all over and and then put gel pen on top of it.

-Colin

Brian Marshall

on that box with all the mismatched knobs i think you should do the ugliest labeling possible.  try doing it with white out.
That is positively the ugliest (but coolest) thing i have seen in a while.

Brian

ExpAnonColin

Quote from: Brian Marshallon that box with all the mismatched knobs i think you should do the ugliest labeling possible.  try doing it with white out.
That is positively the ugliest (but coolest) thing i have seen in a while.

Brian

Thanks. I was trying to make it exceptionally ugly.

-Colin

Davefx

You're the Van Gogh of the FX pedal, Colin!  I love it!  :)
Dave

ExpAnonColin

Quote from: DavefxYou're the Van Gogh of the FX pedal, Colin!  I love it!  :)

Except he was actually painting beautiful pictures ;)

-Colin

Davefx

Really? I thought he was one of those advant garde-sick artists??!!!!   :mrgreen:
Dave

Brett Clark

use some of those stick on brass-on-black mailbox letters from the hardware store

or letters cut out of the newspaper, ransom-note style

or bend bare copper wire into the shapes of the letters (cursive style) and stick it in place with gobs of epoxy

or old typewriter/computer keys glued in place

or lettered beads (from a craft store) held by short pieces of wire looped through small holes in the case

or have a friend from abroad translate and make labels in a foreign script (Chinese, Urdu, Sanskrit, ancient Egyptian Hieroglyphics...)

or ??????

ExpAnonColin

Brett-Thanks for all the ideas!  Some of those are sort of illogical, but the newspaper one would certainly be interesting.

-Colin

hodad

What about those paint pens (or whatever they're called) that the young people are so fond of nowadays?  Rub on lettering is easy enough (you could use either red or white letters for a dark colored box), but not necessarily in keeping with the spirit of the paint job.
You could cut the words into (out of?) a potato & stamp the sucker.  That might look cool.

ExpAnonColin

Quote from: hodadWhat about those paint pens (or whatever they're called) that the young people are so fond of nowadays?  Rub on lettering is easy enough (you could use either red or white letters for a dark colored box), but not necessarily in keeping with the spirit of the paint job.
You could cut the words into (out of?) a potato & stamp the sucker.  That might look cool.

The paint pens are what I used on this'n.

-Colin

Paul Marossy

While it's not the style I would do it in, I think it looks cool. I didn't even notice all the different knobs at first, just the paintjob. Some things turn out cool even when you think it's not.  8)

Ansil

there is a downlaodable font called ransom note. that look like the whole torn up newspaper thing.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I think there is a good case for non-matching knobs. Then you can yell to your assistant, "MORE RED" or "LESS POINTY!" as you flail away.

ErikMiller

I think the gold and black stick-on mailbox letters from the hardware store would be best. Like on Nirvana's Incesticide.

And what's up with having two of the same kind of toggle switch?

ExpAnonColin

Quote from: ErikMillerI think the gold and black stick-on mailbox letters from the hardware store would be best. Like on Nirvana's Incesticide.

And what's up with having two of the same kind of toggle switch?

Wouldnt those be a bit too big?

I guess I could take the cover off of one toggle switch... ;)

-Colin

Elektrojänis

That picture gave me one idea for labeling... How about first paintting a box and then scratching the labels to the paint with some sharp metallic object. Then a clear coat to prevent any further scratches.

It could be even cooler if there was a few different coloured paint coats on top of each other so the scraches would not only reveal metal but some other colours as well.

Downside is that if it doesn't look that good then there will be a lot of work cleaning it and painting it again.

ExpAnonColin

Quote from: ElektrojänisThat picture gave me one idea for labeling... How about first paintting a box and then scratching the labels to the paint with some sharp metallic object. Then a clear coat to prevent any further scratches.

It could be even cooler if there was a few different coloured paint coats on top of each other so the scraches would not only reveal metal but some other colours as well.

Downside is that if it doesn't look that good then there will be a lot of work cleaning it and painting it again.

Actually, that's what I tried before I did the marker... I guess it would have worked better if I had let it dry first, but keep in mind it could easily chip too much.  I was trying to do that wet.

-Colin

bwanasonic

I like the *textured look* you achieved, and the *no two knobs the same* look is, uh, interesting :D For labels you could try one of the metallic (silver or gold) sharpie markers. Pretty good for legibility. I liked a lot of Brett's suggestions too!

Kerry M

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

One solution to fancy labels might be the local engraver!
(yeah you can get home engraving tools, but the pros have a pretty steady hand).

Mike Nichting

hey Colin,
any craft store has really nice paint pans that come in different colors. I used a silver one once and it was nice except that I write like a 5 year old  :lol:
But the paint is really thick and works well on any surface. Just thought I would let you know. I think the ransom style lettering would be best for this box tho.
I dig the box and some folks would charge an arm and a leg for that artwork bro~!!

Mike N.
"It's not pollution thats hurting the earth, it's the impurities in the water and air that are doing it".
Quoted from a Vice President Al Gore speech