New labeling method (with pics!)

Started by Samuel, December 16, 2003, 11:27:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samuel

Just finished up a green ringer build...and decided to test out my new set of lettering punches. I screwed up enough elements of the paint job that I have to regard the pedal as "proof of concept" rather than finished, but such it is.

Here's the whole megillah, I installed the "null" mod from JD's site, The label is not some nihilistic statement about the pointlessness of hobbies or whatever...

Yeah the wiring is a little sloppy:

Marcos - Munky

Great look effect. Congrats. And don't worry, your wiring method is better than mine.

Samuel

Once I get everything in the box I always realize that some cable or other is too short, too long, etc...so....electrical tape becomes my best friend...

Elektrojänis

That label looks cool. What did you use to attach it to the box?

I wonder if a hammond box (or other boxes like it) itself could be punched...

Samuel

I use JB Weld to attach it. Incredibly strong. Yes the box itself can definitely be punched, the trick is setting up a backing for where you're punching. If you just punch the box with nothing behind it it dents the box. Also, I was using this method so that if I screwed up the punch, I'd have ruined a small chip of metal instead of a $10 box :)

Elektrojänis

Hmmm... I might try to punch stright on the box on some project. I could be nice... It would be so simple and the lettering would practically last forever. Not that the metal chip wouldn't. :)

Got to check if I have an access to some lettering punches somewhere.

javacody

Wouldn't a wood block slightly smaller than the pedal work perfectly as a backing for punching the box?

Samuel

Yeah that would probably work - but I feel like a metal surface, like an anvil, would be better, cause you don't want the surface to flex at all, which would allow the case to dent...

RDV

A sledgehammer head would do the trick nicely.

Regards

RDV

javacody

Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn't you want a little give so the metal you are trying to punch actually gives enough to leave an indentation? I'm pretty sure a good block of hardwood is not going to allow that box to bend, but it will allow the metal to move enough for the punch to actually take, whereas a steel or iron backing would probably keep the punch from taking at all?

I'm just guessing here, not an expert by any means.

Samuel

My impression (har de har har har) is that you want no give at all behind the box, so that all of the force delivered by the hammer goes to pushing material out of the way of the punch head. You don't want any force transferring to the block underneath, and you don't want that force to go to bending the box overall. There is no sign of extruded versions of the letters on the opposite side of the piece, just the dug out letters on the "top" side...

Samuel

Oh, and good call on the sledgehammer head, RDV!

ExpAnonColin

I've always wondered how doing the old-style lables would work... you know the ones where you get the plasticy sticky blue tape and you put it through that little handheld device and select the letter and then push down to press the letter into it?

-Colin

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: anonymousexperimentalistI've always wondered how doing the old-style lables would work... you know the ones where you get the plasticy sticky blue tape and you put it through that little handheld device and select the letter and then push down to press the letter into it?

-Colin
Unfortunately, complete shite, because they don't adhere well enough. :(
That was called "DYMO', but the patents are out & you can get cheap versions now. There are those electronic label writers too, but you need some way to protect the.

Arno van der Heijden

QuoteI've always wondered how doing the old-style lables would work... you know the ones where you get the plasticy sticky blue tape and you put it through that little handheld device and select the letter and then push down to press the letter into it?

I use them, cause I like the way they look on bare aluminium.  :D  I don't have any problems with the way they adhere (yet). Maybe it depends on the brand of the tape.

Pete Cornish used to use this stuff all the time:

bobbletrox

they look good!  maybe some superglue would keep 'em stuck down  :wink:

ErikMiller

Nice looking pedal.

But beware the Radio Shack jack!

I recently had one go intermittent without it ever having left the house.

"Friends don't let friends" etc.