NEED A THEREMIN DESPERATELY

Started by Ricardo Antunes, December 17, 2003, 01:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricardo Antunes

DOES ANYBODY HERE GOT THE THEREMIN (LIKE PAGE USED AT WHOLE LOTTA LOVE) SCHEMATIC / PCB LAYOUT? iT SOUNDS VERY COOL FOR ME...

Peter Snowberg

Need a theremin?

Try Theremin World! :D

http://www.thereminworld.com/schematics.asp

I've never built one, but they have quite a varitey of schematics.

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Ricardo Antunes

UOLLLL!!!!! tHANKS PETER!!! THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH

casey

PAIA has a ready to build kit for a decent price.  check it out.  :)
Casey Campbell

idlefaction

there's a theremin in whole lotta love?  i'll have to give it another listen!!!  :D

i have a theremin that uses a 555 timer and a photoresistor, it's cool as.  :P
Darren
NZ

ExpAnonColin

Quote from: idlefactionI have a theremin that uses a 555 timer and a photoresistor, it's cool as

Read: "Ghetto" theremin :D

-Colin

Mike Nichting

How do I know what a good theramin has in it parts wise??
How can I tell if it's a good theramin or a "Ghetto" theramin??

Mike N.
"It's not pollution thats hurting the earth, it's the impurities in the water and air that are doing it".
Quoted from a Vice President Al Gore speech

Gstring

Hi-I would like to offer my 2cents on this subject.Last year I decided to find a unit.After some research I found some options.The best deal I found was a fellow who has sold 1,000s  of these and what a deal-If I recall, it was approx$87.00 for a unit which you could install in your own nonmetallic enclosure-The fellow is Chuck Collins(theramaniacs)-he sells on ebay-I play mine thru a Vox AC30TB and sometimes I think I am Jimmy Page(well sort of). Hope this helps

Travis

I spent quite a while looking for a theremin last year.  The best sounding one (by no small margin) was the 203 design (pitch only) by Art Harrison.  He has pre-stuffed PCB's, if you aren't up to making the whole thing.

Don't use the provided soundclip to judge it.  Harrison seem to have bad tinnitus, and just flat EQ's the clip.  It is MUCH more pleasing if you EQ it yourself.

http://home.att.net/~theremin1/

http://home.att.net/~theremin1/203/203.html

sfr

Quote from: caseyPAIA has a ready to build kit for a decent price.  check it out.  :)

The manual and build stuff for that kit is their freebie manual of the month over at the website as well.  I don't know how often they change it (seems to be longer than a month) but might be good to grab it if yr interested, even you don't end up buying the kit.  I suppose you could build it all from the manual w/o the kit, but I don't think you'd save anyhing and it'd be a lot less frustrating w/ the kit.  But I've downloaded a couple of their other freebie manuals, it's pretty interesting.  Seeing as my quadrafuzz never ever shipped, (although they never charged me, still)  i'm a little hestitant to order from them. . .
sent from my orbital space station.

casey

PAIA has been at this for a long time.....that's wierd about the quadrafuzz.
i ordered a tube sound fuzz from them when i first got into the
fx making thing....it came to my door real quick.
i have heard some good stuff about their theremins..... :D
Casey Campbell

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Plenty of people have built the PAiA theremin, but it is *NOT* a beginer kit!! compared to any stompbox. (I've seen a few that people have tried to make!). And the Australian Silicon Chip mag one, isn't too easy as well.
I havn't tried Art's one, but Art *IS* a very experienced & talented engineer.
personally, I eventually gave up on RF approaches & went optical!

Travis

Art has a kit.  I've seen the board, and it is EXTREMELY simple.  all you need to do is solder on the off-board connections.  You have to supply the enclosure, antenna, and volume pot, but he makes it easy for beginners.  I know several people who have used his populated boards, and not one of them had any problems.

As I implied earlier, I've never been too impressed with the naked sound of the PAIA.  

The price for the board is c. $65

http://harrisoninstruments.com/203_product_description.html

Rodgre

I built the Moog Etherwave last year and it's a wonderful Theremin. I try to sneak it in on every project in the studio and I'm actually working on getting "good" at playing it (not just making Whole Lotta Love noises!)

The Moog goes together very easy with the pre-stuffed PCB. The hardest part was finishing the cabinetry. Did mine in a nice antiqued oak stain with a little poly.

Sounds superb. Great sounding oscillator and it is very easy to use.

Roger

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

One advantage of a reflective optical theremin, is that you can play it at the same time as you play guitar, by mounting it horizontally (eg on a speaker box) and waggling the guitar neck in front of it. The Avalanches did this with my SpaceBeam.

downweverything

I built the University of Glassgow digital theremin.  Its tizight.  I definately recommend.  But i would build on a breadboard first because its kinda component sensitive but it works great.

M.D.

Good god!!!!! i have been a damn near pro axe slinger for years and I have never seen such a beast :shock:  :shock: damn, that thing looks sick I think I must learn more bout this thing thanks guys for showing someone that thinks he knows a few things a thing or too you guys are the pro's

great great info

whoooohooooooo :shock: muwahahahahahahahha!!!!

keep on rockin..mike.