OT - DANELECTRIC ROCKY ROAD - MODS

Started by BILLYL, December 19, 2003, 08:41:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BILLYL

JUST PICKED UP THE ROCKY ROAD PEDAL (MUSICIAN FRIENDS HAD IT FOR$19).  WAS READING AT HARMONY CENTRAL ABOUT A MOD TO HELP CALM DOWN THE GAIN -WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE KNOWS OF OTHERS.

HAVEN'T REALLY FOOLED AROUND WITH THE PEDAL YET.

THANKS

BILLYL

drew

THE BEST MOD IS THE ONE THAT LETS YOU DISENGAGE YOUR CAPS LOCK KEY

The second-best mod to any danelectro pedal is to put it in a hammond box and replace the stomp switck/pots because they are lower than low quality.

BILLYL

Drew

The cap key mod is a issue with the computer application that I run - it wants you to have your cap lock on - so sorry about that one.

Will give the second one a look to see what it would take

Thanks
BILL

drew

It's okay, just trying to be funny :)

Most of the dano pedals use surface-mount parts and are kind of a pain to work with. You can change stuff around if you like but I find that the Dano pedals just don't seem worth it to me.

Then again, let me admit I'm biased- I bought a "Chicken Salad" vibrato, and within a day of getting it, the pots became loose (which caused the pedal to work intermittently) and the stomp switch stopped working. This is after my little Honeytone amp self-destructed, and after I bought a U2 whose neck SNAPPED IN TWO in shipping without any visible damage to the box.

Danelectro gear sells for so cheaply because it is made cheaply and does not sound good. But that's one man's opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.

drew
www.toothpastefordinner.com

gez

Quote from: drewDanelectro gear sells for so cheaply because it is made cheaply and does not sound good

I sort of go along with this Drew.  I tried out a few of their pedals a year or so ago and many fell into the 'not that great but what do you expect for the price!' category.  One or two were pretty good though and I ended up buying a Chili Dog octave (no problem with tracking and sounds great!).

You're right about them being cheaply made though - pretty flimsy!
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Ge_Whiz

Yeah, I've never seen (nor heard) the appeal of Danelectro stuff myself - I mean, hardboard guitars ("It's a Danelectro thing", I once read...). And as for those plug-ugly 'longhorn' things... sheesh.

gez

Quote from: Ge_WhizAnd as for those plug-ugly 'longhorn' things... sheesh.

Eh lad, I'll have nowt said against the longhorn!!!    :)
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

casey

i have a danelectro daddy-o pedal that is really nice....

built like a tank with years of hard touring.  it's worked out really
well for me.

nice tone to it too.

the little pedals are pretty cheap though....
Casey Campbell

RickL

The Rocky Road mod refered to, I believe, is the one that jumpers the gain setting resistor. I've done it and it works (although it would be nice to get the volume down even more so the distortion could be turned up without making it louder than unity) but I haven't a clue where to find it. It should be in the archives somewhere.

Am I the only one here who loves Dano stuff? I have all the mini pedals exept the chromatic tuner and about half of the bigger ones and five of the guitars. Dano stuff has the same appeal to me that EH stuff does, cheezy and cheap (well EH stuff was cheap when it first came out). I think some of them actually sound pretty good too. I think sound-wise the tremolo, octave down, phaser, FTM clone and others sound at least as good as other pedals costing double as much.

Come to think of it I like Zoom stuff for the same reason. I have three 505's, two 9002's and several others from the original 505 line.

javacody

gez

Quote from: RickLAm I the only one here who loves Dano stuff? I have all the mini pedals exept the chromatic tuner and about half of the bigger ones and five of the guitars

I LOVE Dano guitars!  When I was growing up (still am!) I always wanted a Longhorn, a teardrop and a Jazzmaster.  I finally laid hands on the Jazzmaster but lack of space (she'd kill me!) prevents me from buying a Longhorn.  :cry:

Who cares if they're made from hardboard?!  They look bleedin' cool and that's all that matters at the end of the day!

BILLYL

RickL-

Did the mod you suggested and I can't understand why Dano doesn't do it.  Cleaned the pedal right up and it really produces a very nice Leslie effect - ramping could be a little better.

I have a couple of the Dano effects and find them to very suitable.  And generally you can find them pretty cheap.  The mini ones are priced right and seem to hold up to my son's size 13.

Happy Holidays

BILLY

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: drewI bought a U2 whose neck SNAPPED IN TWO in shipping without any visible damage to the box.

Danelectro gear sells for so cheaply because it is made cheaply and does not sound good. drew
www.toothpastefordinner.com

About the U2, i had a vinyl LP between 2 hardboard sheets shatter, but no damage to the hardboard! maybe low tempearature & vibration in an unheated cargo hold.

About the Danlectro, think of them as components!! they are cheaper than some chips, & must do SOMETHING useful!

dubs

Quote from: RickL. Dano stuff has the same appeal to me that EH stuff does, cheezy and cheap (well EH stuff was cheap when it first came out).

Yeah despite the "vintage appeal" of Eh effects, they are damnright dodgy in quality too (not as bad and danelectro).
having repaired A few, I noticed how bad the quality of the circuitboards and some of the components and using cheap sheetmetal for the enclosures.
I'm about to   do a pcb layout from the Clone theory pedal, as it appears I can't diagnose where on the board the effect cuts out, but works when I gently  flex the circuitboard

puretube

Quotehow bad the quality of the circuitboards and some of the components
...you are referring to old EH-pedals here, aren`t you?

dubs

Yes I am, but I've hears issues with some current pedals like the Holy Grail reverb with background hissing and noisey footswitches.

troubledtom

your shit kicks ass !!
          best wishes,
                - tom pollock
                 www.troubledvariance.com

KDC113

Hi, im new user, i bought yesterday the DJ-20 and did de mod, and sounds good. Now, the sound is good but i want a more deep sound, something like a uni-vibe, ala Breath of Pink Floyd. You guys know a mod or have idea that wath should i do??

Sorry for my english, im mexican and don't speek and wrote english good.

Saludos

jonathan perez

^^^^^
a good mass of us speak spanish. myself included.  ;D
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...