Do you guys get just a few standard values of resistors, or

Started by ExpAnonColin, December 20, 2003, 01:19:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Specific values or a variety with emphasis on values?

Specific values
5 (50%)
Variety with emphasis on certain values
5 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: December 20, 2003, 01:19:50 AM

ExpAnonColin

do you get a huge variety, but more of certain values?

Like, do you just get 1, 2.2, 4.7, 6.8, and 10 values?  Or do you get mostly those values plus a slew of others?  I find it's pretty rare to find other values, except in commercial effects... plus, you can always put them in series.

-Colin

Brian Marshall

i have a bunch of the standard ones up to 22k.  After that it is 100k and 1m.  For experimenting i just series resistors, and for building, i just pick one that is close.  I am building a few of my stupid box.  It uses a few 100k resistors, so i order 1000 of them from mouser.  $6 for 1000.  

Now where the F*** am i going to keep them.

Brian

Ansil

there is a great little pencil box at the dollar tree.  that is sectional

they also have a little sewing box that is sectional and you can make the sections the size you wish.

runmikeyrun

I bought a big roll of them at rat shack, it was less than 10 bucks and you get like 500 resistors from 1 ohm to 5 megs i think.  You'll spend all night sorting them out (just little sheets of 5 and 10 resistors) but by the time you're done sorting you'll know the resistor color code like a pro.

I keep mine in a little red thingie that stands on the workbench and has small slideout plastic drawers.  It is cheap and wobbly but it was only $7 at walmart.
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

petemoore

I got some of those...
 The way to do those Imo is to sort them and cateforize them and put them in their own little marked value places...I don't like sorting...I still have 98% of the 'pile' left...
 I get these ones from NTE guy [Philcap Elec.] that come as a roll of 500...one long string of them.
 I just draped the long string across my lap when building, I can find values very quickly...
 The RS ones are all mixed up, I used all the 10k's...I haven't done well at all finding specific values from the RS resistors IMO I just will always get the long roll...I just look for the multiplier band on a resistor from in the roll and can figure which way on the roll to look...can find values easy with the long string...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

mattv

The first resistors I bought were in an assortment. Since then, every time I get low on a value I go and buy a bunch more depending on how much I use that particular value. Obviously, I don't buy them in bulk.

donald stringer

I did the same, .i puarchased the plastic storage comp things and the large roll of res. from radio shack and took the time  to separate  and label them on  the top of box with a marker and when a comp. comes empty they are just replenished.
troublerat

Brian Marshall

I have a couple of those haning wall bins from home depot. they have aobut 20 drawers each, but 1000 resistors will mess up my scheem, because i will have to use one of the big drawers.

oh well

Brian

R.G.

Go to Office Max/Depot. Get a box of coin envelopes. Mark coin envelopes with every EIA 5% standard value from about 10 ohms up through maybe a meg. Buy resistors for all of your projects in quantity - Mouser usually has them for $2.00 to $3.00 for 200 resistors. Other places have them this price as well. When you get the resistors, dump the full lot into the marked coin envelope. Over a number of projects, you will fill up the coin envelopes in all useful denominations. You'll eventually get to where you only  buy resistors when you get a new project with a funny value, or when you deplete all the 1Ks, 10Ks, etc.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Chris R

i happen to have an electronics surplus right near me.. so i just go and get the values that i need.

before you get too jealous.. i should tell you that there is always 1 part they don't have... and they have a very limited selection of pots... so i still have to place orders, but just for specific items.

C

arielfx

i bought the values i need the most in packs of 200 or more (got arounf 1500 of 1.5k, found them at a junk for 4$). I get most of my other resistors free from my local electronics shop because I buy many things these so the resistors are free :)

petemoore

They're less expive if they're not presorted it seems.
 The ones I buy I would guess must be sorted by hand or machine...increasing value resistors on a long string all sorted...
 By keeping them separate in bulk, this sorting task is eliminated from the packaging process.
 Marking containers at home makes sense...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

runmikeyrun

Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women