Do you think that these Mullards are real?

Started by zonta, December 21, 2003, 05:45:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zonta

smoguzbenjamin

I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

ErikMiller

Also the white boxes. Have you asked the seller?

This is it, right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2210822134

In his other auctions of Mullard tubes, he doesn't use the word "branded."

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

http://www.pamandandy.demon.co.uk/valves/gallery/PowerPentodes/el84_1.jpg
I don't see how anyone could be sure, but I would be suprised if Mullard hadn't put a logo on it.. (I know I would!)

Johan

I think you should take this question over to Ampage forum. there are more people over there that are familiar with all the old tubes. but anyway, are there and indication on the tubes where they where made? from what i understand, almost all tubes made in great britain where made by Mullard allthough sometimes rebranded with other names. I also think there should be a datecode somewhere near the base consisting of a "leter, didgit, leter, didgit" kind of scheme, but dont quote me on this ...

Johan
DON'T PANIC

Fret Wire

If I remember correctly, they're re-branded JJ/Telsa tubes. They would have said Great Britan if they were made in the UK. RCA, Sylvania, Phillips were all using re-labeled Russian, Japanese, and Chinese tubes towards the end.
One of the funniest tubes I saw was a RCA 5Y3gt that was a Sovtek. It came in the usual RCA box, but stated in small letters, "country of origin marked on tube". The tube was labeled just like the seventies production except it was 4 pin instead of 5, a dead giveaway that it was a Sovtek.
Another dead giveaway is that the bids would have been way higher. Look under 12ax7 and see what used Mullards go for.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

zonta

nobody seems to be bidding for them. i think they are some silly chinese no name tubes which are branded as Mullard by a "clever" guy.

Dan N

The little code etched on the tube sure makes them look real.

The Mullards in my junk box have a round hole in the plate and the getter is only connected by one wire. One is coded "kM1 B6 11" and has white printing 6BQ5 Gt. Britain. The others are branded Motorola in red with "rX1 B1B" (printed upside down) and have white printing "MADE IN GREAT BRITAIN".

It could be they changed their plates at some point. Their 12AX7's evolved through different structures...

M.D.

hmmm seemes a little cheap for the good ol mullards i payed quite a bit for mine but still might sound ok though just a thought mike. :twisted:

zonta

how about the logo? anybody seen mullards without the original logo on them?

Fret Wire

Yes, on some pre-amp tubes. They were foriegn rebrands. I dug out an EL-84 I have that is a new JJ/Telsa, they match pretty well. These were quick pics, but you can see its the same tube. I paid 12.00 for this one. I get a few new production  every once and awhile just to check them out. Actually, they're not bad for new stuff. Pass on those BS tubes. The getter matches exactly.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mw252001/album?.dir=/JJ+Telsa+++EL+84
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

puretube

Fret Wire

It's 2 in the morning where I am...enough with the spell check! lol! They are Tesla's don't you agree? I'm gonna write Tung-Sol on mine with White-Out and get $150.00 on eBay.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)