diy drum machine controlled by knobs?

Started by axr, August 27, 2003, 09:37:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

axr

where i can find an easy-intermediate circuit that creates drum pulses, please post link here, if it has pcb layouts the better thanks.

Bernt

axr!
I think you have to be more specific! What do you want it to do, and so on.
Kindest regards, Bernt.

Mark Hammer

In service of Bernt's point, do you want something that generates rhythmic pulses to trigger other devices, or do you want something that will provide a standalone basic rhtyhm track you can play with?

Jack Orman's collaborator Thomas Henry still has a number of drum module schematics posted at the Midwest Analog Products website.  They're not "basic" basic but they are not unreasonably exotic either.

axr

thanks guyz, i just want to build a stand alone unit so i can toy around, i just want something that sounds like a drum where i can change the speed of the pulses and things like that, because i want to use it in conjuction with a 4ms triwave (both going to the same amp) for some wacky sounds, i remenber i was toying with a flanger the other day and i was able to get some drum sounds, but i'd like to build a unit design for that, thanks.

Mark Hammer

It might be easier to just keep one eye peeled for a garage or e-bay sale of one of the basic drum machines like the old Mattel Synsonics or one of the budget Yamaha machines aimed at the home keyboard user.  Alternatively, a lot of the cheezy 37-minikey keyboards you can pick up here and there come with on board rhythm/drumtracks - think of it as a cheap drum machine with a keyboard thrown in for free.

moosapotamus

This is something I've been wanting to try for some time now.

http://m.bareille.free.fr/ds7clone/ds7.htm

From the audio clips, sounds like it woud be great to go along with a Tri-Wave.

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

axr

i already have a keyboard with a drum machine, i'm looking something like the project that moosopotamus mentioned, i'm looking something in these lines, i'll try to draw the layout, but i'm sure that there are more projects like that, thanks guys for the answers.

Rodgre

A friend of mine built that Paia Electronic Drumset from back in the day. It was a primative drum machine and it supposedly sounded pretty cool, in a beatbox kinda way.

Maybe Paia has a manual for it and you can build yourself one?

Roger

Nasse

I once made a drum synth from XR2206 (if I remember...) which contains voltage controlled sine wave generator and vca (if it is a right chip?). I controlled it with a piezo mic attached under a plywood plate, on top of it was thick neoprene rubber mat. Felt and bounced like real drum when hit with a drumstick. Wow and did it have gorgeous and BIG sound, I mean those ultra low sub sine waves. Big tom tom and bass drum sounds. You could trigger it with pulse from something (a drum machine or synth output or percussive sound) too.
  • SUPPORTER

axr

thanks guys, i was to general with my posts, i want a circuit that creates some kind of pulse (like a percusion, drums or another sound) when it is amplified. so i can change the speed of the pulse (sound) and other things, is just like if we amplified a lfo and get some king of percusive sound, thanks.

william

Are you looking for a metronome?  Something just to keep a tempo while you practice?  Or something that will actually sound like a drum, Kick, snare, hats ect?

William

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Any filter with a high Q (that is, near resonance) will give a 'boink' of some kind if excited by a step function. So if you have a simple 555 style pulse generator with a square wave output, and run it into (for example) a MS20 style resonant filter, then there you have a drum! (particularly if the filter can tune down far enough). And, you could mod a filter to have the frequency controlled by an envelope (like in a classic led/ldr setup). Plenty of scope for cheap hacking here!

Bernt

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Thans Bernt, that PAiA article is EXACTLY what I had in mind! all that is needed now is a regulaar suare wave to whack it, and a suitable souce of madness to drive the control voltage... maybe one of the random LFO devices from Geofex!