Possible forum help and a general idea

Started by Ansil, December 22, 2003, 05:35:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ansil

THis kind of got me thinking.  we all have done odd jobs in the past.  so i was wondering.  how many times i know that i didnt' connect what i have done in the past on a job to something that could be benificial in diy.   so here is my proposal. we all list a little bit about what we have done in the past, and maybe there is something that we dont' do that much of that could benefit diy and we might still have buisiness asociates at previous employers that could help us out. so since this is my bag i will start out.

J&D construction.   light electrical, plumbing wood working and roofing.

pizza hut.  cook, waiter
htese two at the same time

Frigidaire.  Forklift operator, added value

Jmc music.  asst. manager, gutiar and amp repairs. etc.(htese three at the same time)

subway sandwiches and salads.   Sandwich artist, Closing Manager

htese two at the same time
Bagel Market, Baker, delivery driver, handy man sheet rock etc

Bilo deli bakery.  asst manager, pt time cake decorator  baker.

wendys asst manager. cook clean hire fire general maintenance

when bagel market dried up i did wendys and bilo at the same time

Vincent Printing.  Silk Screener, delivery driver.

Atlanta Bread company. baker shift manager

Johnny Rockets.  Grill cook shit manager

Utiltiy Meter services..  Meter reader for electric power board

i started with bread company and went to johnnys and did those for a couple of months.. then idd both utility meters and rockets together and twice a month i would bake for the bread company

Bilo warehouse.  unloaded trucks by hand.  forklift and pallet jack driver Data Entry for 7 weeks when my leg was busted

CCA Silverdale.  State Prison, privately owned and operated.
Corrections officer.  Riot squad.. Heheheheheh..

Steak and Shake.  general help. grill clean floors etc.

PT time Sound Operator for a local Pa company and misc mr fix it in audio services.
when i wasn't guarding at jail i was cooking when i had a free weekend. i ran sound.

assistant to a luthier, cabinet maker, S&M device manufacutor and general deviant some of the best days..lol.

Security OFficer.  guarded an oil plant.  cooking oil. thats where i got so much internet time available to me and when i started posting heavly on this forum/( security officer and luthier assistandt)

direct Tv Entertainment consultant.   i sat on my ass and talked on the phone and surfed the internet. and read the diy forum.. lol

startd selling my own pedals.

forklift driver, for a print shop. national posters

Chik-fi-la managment. adn opening sandwich person.  60+ hours a week

scholtzkys baker.  i got some cool fuzz face lookin pans from them

cracker barrell  grill cook and basic maintenance

bennigans,  grill cook  florida
ruby tuesdays grill cook florida

and for the last 5+ years . comupter debuggin for LCR signs, photo manipulation etc

damn thats alot.

lol

i post this originally cuase i never thought i woudl have a use for xylene again or emulsion and didn't give a damn about it. but when  started doing this and saw it would be benificial again. i thought i woudl get back into it. so far it looks like i can get some emulsion. again.

Chris R

Quote from: AnsilJohnny Rockets.  Grill cook shit manager

heh.

Ansil

you might think that is a typo  but you would be wrong............... lol

Brett Clark

Well, here's mine:

Nightclub dishwasher
Recording studio tourguide
Tourist-trap gift-shop operator
Concession stand operator
Radio Shack salesman
Radio Shack computer department manager (in the 8-bit days!)
Camera store weekend manager
Punch-clock salesman (my worst job)
Music electronics tech (for 8 years, great times)
Nightclub bouncer (part-time)
I did all of these for a fiber-optics company, total almost 7 years:
 Applications engineer
 Repair tech
 Design engineer
 Technical writer/proofreader
 VP Engineering

Free-lance electronics designer/consultant (now)

1wahfreak

WOW, pretty extensive resume you have there!!!
I'm pretty new to DIY, but I haven't had but 2 jobs since I left high school in '83. I have been in the silkscreening business ever since. Everything from large format signs to close tolerence circuit printing making touchscreens, so I too have access to everything relating to screen printing. But I've been more fortunate to be able to have extensive equipment at my disposal like a fully equiped machine shop, Autocad 2000 for designing my own lables with laser and razor knife cutting equipment for cutting them out (much easier and way less messy and toxic than screen printing). I also have full access to our electronics lab with signal generators, scopes and everything (including our E.E.) needed to troubleshoot my builds. As long as I keep my job there is no reason why any of my pedals should not work or look good. So I wonder what the problem could be..... :lol:

Ansil

so when are you gonna start making screens?????  lol

javacody

Here is my list:

Dishwasher - small restaraunt
cashier - Roy Rogers fast food chain
warehouse worker? - Best
Telemarketer (I sucked at it and got canned in two weeks)
Cook - Green Gables
Cook - Applebees
general labor - Aalfs clothing manufacter (removing stones from stonewashed jeans and folding dried jeans)
breakfast cook - Hyvee Deli
Pizza and donut maker - Caseys
cook - burger king
saute chef (litle restaurant can't remember the name)
broiler cook - Sioux City Country Club
Saute chef - Minerva's
cook - Crystal Cafe truckstop
cook - I29 truckstop
cook - Briar Cliff Catholic College
cook - some retirement home (a geezer died from a heart attack during a meal and they tried to say he choked and tried to blame it on me, thank god the autotopsy proved them wrong! Needless to say, after that self-respect kicked in and I got a new job)
Cashier - kwik shop
pizza and salad chef - Court Ave. Brewing Co.
broiler chef - 801 Grand Steak and Chop house
pizza cook - Noah's Ark
data entry - can't remember the company
Web Developer - Alliance Technologies
Web Developer - WebImpressions
Web Developer - Can't say where, but at major bank

Can I just say that working in the food-related service industry sucks major bunghole?

I can crack four eggs at once into a pan, and then flip all of those eggs at once without a spatula and not break an egg. Not sure how that relates to effects building?  :lol:  If you need a website or breakfast, let me know!

Chris R

Cashier - Target
Substation Construction - Local Electric Company
Programmer - Local Electric Company (VB, ASP, COM)
Programmer - Major Airline (Java/J2EE)
Programmer - Defense. (Java/J2EE)

C

Tubebass

Okay......
   Live sound mixer (FOH and monitor) since 1973
   On-air audio operator for a regional TV station, now defunct
   Tech for regional phone company, microwave radio, video and audio
   And for the last 22 years.....
   Tech for Canada Post, working on the automatic mail sorting equipment
More dynamics????? I'm playing as loud as I can!

afranks

Ok... here goes...

Amusement ride operator
Projectionist @ drive-in theater
RGIS night inventory plebe
Teaching assistant, CS department
Driver for auto dealership (drove cars back from auction)
Banquet server
Database programmer
Software engineer @ Data General, BroadBand Technologies,
   Nortel Networks, and now Beckmann Technologies

Of all these jobs, I enjoyed working as a projectionist the most. :-)

Ansil

Quote from: javacody:lol:  If you need a website or breakfast, let me know!

lol.......... too damn funny i understand about bunghole sucking.  i have done the food thing since i was like 10 or so. my dad would take me to the bar with him sometimes instead of school.......... lol i grew up in bars.

anyway  i got hungry and "uncle" paddy. as i called him he own paddys bar said i could have a burger  if i wanted to cook it.  so i did and that has been that.

Ansil

Quote from: Chris RCashier - Target
Substation Construction - Local Electric Company
Programmer - Local Electric Company (VB, ASP, COM)
Programmer - Major Airline (Java/J2EE)
Programmer - Defense. (Java/J2EE)

C

see here is a good exapmel i dont' program real well i can do it but this would be benneificial for pic programming and such.  which i am getting into  lol

Ansil

Quote from: afranksOk... here goes...

Amusement ride operator
Projectionist @ drive-in theater
RGIS night inventory plebe
Teaching assistant, CS department
Driver for auto dealership (drove cars back from auction)
Banquet server
Database programmer
Software engineer @ Data General, BroadBand Technologies,
   Nortel Networks, and now Beckmann Technologies

Of all these jobs, I enjoyed working as a projectionist the most. :-)

with the projectionist posisiton you coudl be a prime canadit to help with screen burnign.  i found out from vincents that if i come by and pickup the old screens i can get them for next to nothing. and you can burn mulitple screens at the same time. so you could do a dozen different screens at once. and then cut them braze the ends and sent them to the peeps needing them..   well this is just theory but thats how i got my screen for some homemade wallpaper

Bluesgeetar

Bodybuilder/Fitness trainer
Machinist
Welder
Computer tech in US AirForce
Armored truck driver
Cabinet maker
Antique clock and Cuckoo clock repairman
Now at present I am a Registered Nurse :D

M.D.

Just a few things:

4th year auto body refinishing apprentice

Licenced mechanic (auto hi-performance custom shop)

Welding tickets:A,B tickets

and all the regular cook,dish washer jobs from my youth(which sucked)

mike. :twisted:

bwanasonic

For about the last 20 years:

Photo Retouch and image manipulation. Started before computers were used for this ( used to spend my days sloshing and brushing sulphuric acid and potassium ferrocyanide around on film, and using airbrush for various retouch purposes). Then moved on to operating high-end drums scanners, and using proprietary photo retouch stations the size of refrigerators (that were less powerful than an imac :lol: ). Have been a Photoshop jockey since the earliest mac days, and have been doing work  for some of the top ad agencies in the country for most of that time. Also do Photoshop training. Have a wide-ranging knowledge of the printing industry and large-format printing.

I used to clean toilets at a disco so we'd have that covered too...

Kerry M

petemoore

Dishwasher, Fishman', and food prep guy
 Paint [can just about always find a brush that needs dipped around here]
 Mechanic...for Speedy, and buy em cheep [dead battery?] fix/sell...
 Electrical Whiz [Whizzes prove to be far more valuable than many electrical technicians...not all...sorry if you're one of the sorry Electech's that I had to do re-do's on your 'work'...lol]
 Mechanical Whiz [same as electrical...mechanical technicians are sometimes very good at 'drawing'...that's about it tho...lolol...they get paid like 20-30 per hr to come up with something that could never work, that they dont understand, and I get 10-12 per hour to sort it all out and prove my thoeries as true by making the darn thing work...
 Between ages of 20-30 I was bodybuilding construction/demolition guy...Roughhh...
 Now that all the machines Ive helped fix have been taken, cloned or removed from the area...overseas?
 Back to dipping a brush in paint...latex is ok ... I don't like the ones that say use adequate venthilation...I was never the one to like legal Buzzes/hangovers...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.