MXR Dyna Compressor or Ross Compressor?

Started by zener, December 22, 2003, 10:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zener

WHAT DO YOU THINK CAN GIVE MORE SUSTAIN AND/OR SOUNDS BETTER OVERALL? I know these two can be built in one PCB but I just want to hear it from you before building it and hearing the sound of these two myself.

Happy Holidays to all DIYers and thanks a lot! :D

Zener
Oh yeah!

MarkB

I built it off the Tonepad layout - and did the mod with the 4 switchable caps.. that essentially gives you BOTH!! you can switch between Ross and Dyna specs.  

I'd say with mine - sustain is about the same, the big difference is in the overall tone..  one of the 2 settings (whichever has the extra caps in place) is a little darker.. but both settings are really good sounding..

"-)

Zero the hero

I've built a couple of compressors, the dyna and the orange squeezer.
But... I don't hear any difference... well, it seems that both amplifies the sounds, but I don't really hear any compression or limiting in the output. Also, sustaining seems to not work...
Maybe is my guitar that is not powerful enough? It's a telecaster clone.
Any help is much appreciated!
And Merry Xmas to everyone!

Bill_F

Quote from: MarkBI built it off the Tonepad layout - and did the mod with the 4 switchable caps.. that essentially gives you BOTH!! you can switch between Ross and Dyna specs.  

I'd say with mine - sustain is about the same, the big difference is in the overall tone..  one of the 2 settings (whichever has the extra caps in place) is a little darker.. but both settings are really good sounding..

"-)

I did the same. Fairly easy mod that gives you two great compressors in one box.

analogmike

HI,

Ths is meant as helpful info, not an argument.

It's cool and fun to put a switch together, to switch back and forth between the Dyna and Ross. But the Ross is basically an improved/stabilized dyna- think of it as putting tuned headers on a smallblock Chevy. It runs better, smoother, more power and economy. I've never heard of someone making headers that could be switched back to the crappy stock manifold configuration. Wouldn't make sense to me.

IMO make the Ross and enjoy it.

p.s. to the guy who can't tell if his compressors are working, it sounds like something is terribly wrong, the ross type should have infinitely more sustain than the orange squeezer type. When you turn up the sustain knob, there should be a RUSH of sound. You can hear some sound samples of both types on my web site. Or maybe you can borrow a Boss compressor to feel what they are supposed to do, many people are not quite sure what a compressor really does.

Merry Kwanzakkah!!!
DIY has unpleasant realities, such as that an operating soldering iron has two ends differing markedly in the degree of comfort with which they can be grasped. - J. Smith

mike  ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~   vintage guitar effects

http://www.analogman.com

petemoore

Compressor can be hard to detect sometimes.
 Some amps have compression in them already, and some efkts [Fuzz] can compress...
 But there's no doubt when My Ross is on...I hit a 'smashy' barchord and get some squash...hitting single notes I can definitely hear the different attack/sustain volume envelope [even though this can be very subtle, clean compress is a subtle thing 'usually'].
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Zero the hero

Thanks to everyone, I'll check everything once again as soon as I'll time... then I'll post my results!
Analogmike, I've heard your sound samples, your compressors are really cool and my OS and Dyna don't sound like yours  :(
Thanks again and merry xmas!

M.D.

Yes but i've heard about people dumping the headers back to stock manifolds because the headers now out flow the not moded intake charge,also some headers like in my IROC HO350 keep burning out starter solinoids.

Not an argument either just somthing to kick around also

Mike. :twisted: